Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > comparing java programms on Linux and Windows!

comparing java programms on Linux and Windows!

news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de

hallo everbody,
did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on windows.
not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...

is there any Links in Internet about this topics?

thanks,
amir

Tim Tyler

news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de <(E-Mail Removed)-karlsruhe.de> wrote:

: did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on windows.

I find the opposite - Java software runs slower on Linux than on Windows.

Not so much energy has been put into getting it to go fast there - I guess.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Darryl L. Pierce

news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:

> hallo everbody,
> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
> windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...

Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
dual-boot fashion?

As for differences in performance, they're two different operating systems
and, as such, are running two different binaries. Even if the binaries
share the same source code, their runtimes are going to be different by
nature of them 1) going through different compilers with different
optimization technologies and 2) running on different operating systems
with different optimization technologies. You can't expect them to always
be the same.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>

Darryl L. Pierce

Tim Tyler wrote:
> : did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
> : windows.
>
> I find the opposite - Java software runs slower on Linux than on Windows.

Depending on what you're running. I've found UI applications to function
slower on *nix machines due to X, but haven't used such applications for
awhile now.

--

Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:

:> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
:> windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...

: Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
: dual-boot fashion?

FWIW, that's what I was doing.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed)

FGB

news.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de wrote:
> hallo everbody,
> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on windows.
> not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...
>
> is there any Links in Internet about this topics?
>
> thanks,
> amir

I have done some benchmarking on Windows / Linux with Sun's 1.3.1 VM. I
found:

1) Memory allocation is faster under Windows.
2) File I/O (at least writing to) is faster under Linux.

I dual booted with Win2K and Suse 7.2 LGX.

Fred Burkley

Darryl L. Pierce

Tim Tyler wrote:
> :> did some one now, why java software on linux running faster than on
> :> windows. not all PC have the same CPUs, Memory,...
>
> : Are you comparing one machine with both Linux and Windows installed in a
> : dual-boot fashion?
>
> FWIW, that's what I was doing.

That at least gives a consistent hardware platform between the two for
benchmarking them. Were they the same version of the JRE as well, and were
both released by Sun, or did you use the Blackdown port on Linux?