Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: paging large results

Re: paging large results

swat42

I don't use Struts so there might be an answer there that i am not aware of.
What could be done is make a query to the database when the user ask for the
page and store it into his session:
Connection con = ...
Statement st = con.createStatement(...)
ResultSet rs = st.executeQuery(...)
rs.setFetchSize(20); // depends on the drivers
request.getSession().setAttribute("mypage.rs", rs);

And then retrieve the infos needed when the user ask for a page:
ResultSet rs = (ResultSet)request.getSession().getAttribute("mypa ge.rs");
int page = request.getParameter("page");
rs.absolute(page*20);
rs.previous();
for(int i=0; i<20 && rs.next(); i++) {
// Get one line of results and print it to the jsp
}

About the not to go to the database, you may perform your own filtering
using the already existing ResulSet object, but in some cases, it might be
faster to requery the databse with some more specific details. It depends on
such factors as the database cache and indexes it uses to get the data.
Don't forget pass the proper parameters to con.createStatement()
(resultSetType and resultSetConcurrency) to make sure that your datas are
safe and react as you want.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

Paging data results?? SAL ASP .Net 3 11-29-2007 03:29 PM
Combining numeric mode paging and nextPreview paging in datagrid Red ASP .Net 1 03-12-2005 11:41 PM
datagrid paging - customising paging style wh1974 ASP .Net 0 01-12-2005 03:48 PM
DataSet paging vs Datareader paging =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?= ASP .Net 1 10-08-2004 02:13 PM
Paging Dr. Who, Paging Dr. Who... Father_Sicko@TheOrphanage.com Computer Security 1 07-02-2004 08:59 PM

Advertisments