Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Is there any utility / code that will return a file containing the *content* differences in two HTML pages

Is there any utility / code that will return a file containing the *content* differences in two HTML pages

balma

Hi
I needed to know if there is a code that will return the textual
differences in two HTML pages.
Am curious to know what kind of algorithm does that require
I do have an HTML parser library with me - but don't have an idea on
what kind of algorithm to utilise
Thanks for any suggestions

Marco Schmidt

balma:

>I needed to know if there is a code that will return the textual
>differences in two HTML pages.
>Am curious to know what kind of algorithm does that require
>I do have an HTML parser library with me - but don't have an idea on
>what kind of algorithm to utilise

You'll have to throw away the markup and then normalize the texts,
replacing all sequences of whitespace characters with a single space
character - if that doesn't get into the way of the comparison. Maybe
you _do_ care about whitespace.

There is diff, a tool that determines the differences between two
texts. IIRC there is a Java implementation of diff.

Do you need all differences, or some percentage value of similarity,
or a simple decision "texts are equal" / "texts are not equal"?

Regards,
Marco