Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > MVC model for JSP/Servelet without using Struts

MVC model for JSP/Servelet without using Struts

Edward A Thompson

Can anyone point me to a discussion, or better yet, an example or
tutorial, of implementing an MVC type design that doesn't immediately
digress into a discussion on Struts?

Struts is probably fine and good, but overkill for me, and I
specificially don't want to get into tags, which Struts seems to push.

Right now I have a design under Model 1.5(?) IE using JSP's and Beans,
but I should move some of the code over to Servlets, and Model 2 (MVC)
makes sense to me.

Ed Thompson

Darren Davison wrote:

> Edward A Thompson wrote:
>

>>Can anyone point me to a discussion, or better yet, an example or
>>tutorial, of implementing an MVC type design that doesn't immediately
>>digress into a discussion on Struts?

> nothing stopping you writing one, but if you want to look at an alternative
> (and simpler) MVC framework, try Maverick <http://mav.sourceforge.net>

I 'll try Maverick - might be just the ticket

Tim Jowers

Ed Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Darren Davison wrote:
>
> > Edward A Thompson wrote:
> >

> >>Can anyone point me to a discussion, or better yet, an example or
> >>tutorial, of implementing an MVC type design that doesn't immediately
> >>digress into a discussion on Struts?

> > nothing stopping you writing one, but if you want to look at an alternative
> > (and simpler) MVC framework, try Maverick <http://mav.sourceforge.net>
> >

> I 'll try Maverick - might be just the ticket

I worked on one system pre-Struts. The design was
1) Each page has a hidden field identifying the Servlet to handle the
request.
2) All requests went to one servlet (controller) and then were
forwarded according the the hidden field. CLASSPATH was used to look
up the other servlets. Also, security was based on each servlet and
checked by user login (role) and servlet to be accessed.