Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Java3d game development

Re: Java3d game development

Richard Ivarson

Terry,

since Java3D is a general high level 3D-API, it's not suited very well
for fast action games IMHO.
I suggest you use a fast and solid low level 3D-API like OpenGL, in a
version for Java named Jogl ( http://jogl.dev.java.net ). Please don't
miss its nice starter guide (
http://jogl.dev.java.net/unbranded-s...x.html?rev=1.2
).

Currently there are ready compiled binary Jogl versions for Linux,
Macos (X), Win32 and Solaris (
http://jogl.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList ). The project
is young and very promising. One of the initiators and maintainers of
it is a SUN engineer who also works in the Java Hotspot team, so you
won't be surprised that Jogl is amazinlgy fast.

This doesn't mean your Java3d knowledge is without need. Tools,
prototypes and "non action" applications can well be done with a high
level API, because you'll reach your goals faster.

Good discussions around Java game developing can be found Javagaming (
http://www.javagaming.org ).
This includes forums for Java3D, OpenGL for Java (Jogl), OpenAL for
Java (Joal) and many more.

P.S. Yet there are not very many professional Java games, but I'm sure
it will change. One nice title is an optical gem (via OpenGL) coming
from Great Britain: http://www.java.com/en/explore/games/alien_flux.jsp
Very nice indeed.

-ric