Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Point and Click Weather Forecasts does not work on all browsers. Why not?

Point and Click Weather Forecasts does not work on all browsers. Why not?

Francis Ardi

Greetings

My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
from Sun.java.com.

Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.

The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com

So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.

Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.

Francis M. Ardi

John C. Bollinger

Francis Ardi wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
> wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
> from Sun.java.com.
>
> Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
> their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
> and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
>
> The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
>
> So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.

Run anywhere does depend on having compatible Java implementations
everywhere. If you use any Java 2 features then your applet will not
run in any version of IE with the MS VM, or in Netscape < 6 with the
included VM. Also, even in Java it is possible to write
platform-dependent code, in which case you should expect
platform-dependent behavior.

> Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.

You are using the Object tag to embed the applet. Object was not
standard HTML until HTML 4, although IE implemented it as an extension
to HTML 3.2. (I'm not certain whether MS' original syntax and semantics
are 100% compatible with the HTML 4 -- likely someone else around here
knows.) Some browsers that do support Object may have bugs. In any
case I would recommend that you supply codetype and codebase attributes
in your object tag; either one or both together might solve your
problem, but even if they don't it's still a good idea to include them.
You may also want to look into Sun's HTML converter tool, which is
packaged with their Java SDK.

John Bollinger

David Segall

Posted and emailed:
"Francis Ardi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Greetings
>
>My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
>wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
>from Sun.java.com.
>
>Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
>their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
>and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
>
>The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
>
>So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.
>
>Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.
>
>Francis M. Ardi

First, you should ensure that your HTML conforms to the standard. I
got over one hundred errors using http://validator.w3.org/. Even if it
is valid your problem is far more likely to be related to differences
between interpretations of HTML between browsers than Java
incompatibilities. If you are brave you can ask the pedants at
alt.html to check your site. Be warned, they are ruthless critics and
will chastise you because your site cannot be used by the blind.

When you have done that Australia should be the next country on your
list. See if http://www.bom.gov.au meets your requirements.

Sudsy

Francis Ardi wrote:
> Greetings
>
> My new "Point and Click" map for obtaining travel weather forecasts
> wokrs well on IE on a computer with the JRE, dowloaded directly
> from Sun.java.com.
>
> Some users complained that they do not get a map, even though
> their browser (Netscape, UNIX, Linux, etc.) is Java enabled
> and I myself could not run my applet on one particular computer.
>
> The URL of my site is http://www.click-map.com
>
> So much for Java's claim of code once, run anywhere.
>
> Please advise me on why it might not work on some browsers.
>
> Francis M. Ardi

It doesn't work on Netscape 6 or 7, probably because you've got
it wrapped in an <OBJECT> tag. A quick search suggests that this
is somehow broken on Netscape. Doesn't Sun have a tool which
wraps applets such that they can be viewed on any browser?