Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java and Unix Domain sockets

Java and Unix Domain sockets

Stuart Clayman

I am trying to get Java to open a UNIX domain socket
in order to interact with an existing piece of software.

I can;t find any reference to this in the Java docs,
at java.sun.com, or searching google.

Has anyone had any success in this area.

stuart

Gordon Beaton

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 11:44:14 +0100, Stuart Clayman wrote:
> I am trying to get Java to open a UNIX domain socket in order to
> interact with an existing piece of software.
>
> I can;t find any reference to this in the Java docs, at
> java.sun.com, or searching google.

Searching Google gives several hits, all of them saying basically the
same thing: that Java doesn't support UNIX domain sockets.

You need to use JNI or an external helper program.

/gordon

--
[ do not send me private copies of your followups ]
g o r d o n . b e a t o n @ e r i c s s o n . c o m

Marc Rochkind

On 10 Jul 2003 12:47:53 GMT, Gordon Beaton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> You need to use JNI or an external helper program.

I'm working on a package called Jtux (using JNI) that will handle about 250
POSIX/SUS system calls, including the whole socket API.

It's not ready yet, but anyone who'd like an early release (in a week or
two) can email me.

It will be Open Source under the BSD license.

--Marc