Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > J2EE architecture question

J2EE architecture question

timmy_dale12@hotmail.com

Hello.
Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
this is mostly a very complex UI.
From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
has always been servlets or jsp.

Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
web based presentation layer?

Rien Nentjes

This is not a probem, a client (gui) program could communicate with the
application server in the same way as the servlets and jsp's would.

Rien

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello.
> Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
> but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
> this is mostly a very complex UI.
> From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
> has always been servlets or jsp.
>
> Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
> web based presentation layer?

Steve

Just about every example of J2EE I've ever seen does indeed use web as
the presentation layer. There is no reason not to use Java objects or
even applets running in a browser.

If you design the application to keep the presentation layer purely
presentational you could change from gui to web to whatever you like
quite easily. At least that's the theory. The catch with doing "rich"
GUIs is that logic almost always ends up in the presentation layer. It
starts with a bit of input validation, then a bit of "pre-processing"
and before you know it your presentation layer is doing business
work...

On 8 Jul 2003 02:27:17 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello.
>Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
>but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
>this is mostly a very complex UI.
>From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
>has always been servlets or jsp.
>
>Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
>web based presentation layer?

~ If emailing, please use: Steve_A_Haigh
~ @
~ hotmail.com
~

Jacob

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello.
> Iv read a spec from a firm which wants to build a J2EE application,
> but the application is not supposed to be web based. The reason for
> this is mostly a very complex UI.
> From what ive read about the J2EE architecture ,the presentation layer
> has always been servlets or jsp.
>
> Is it a posibility / option to build a J2EE application without the
> web based presentation layer?

Sure. We do this; Huge J2EE app with thousands of users.
Front-end is a combination of VisualBasic and Swing.

timmy_dale12@hotmail.com

Steve <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Just about every example of J2EE I've ever seen does indeed use web as
> the presentation layer. There is no reason not to use Java objects or
> even applets running in a browser.
>
> If you design the application to keep the presentation layer purely
> presentational you could change from gui to web to whatever you like
> quite easily. At least that's the theory. The catch with doing "rich"
> GUIs is that logic almost always ends up in the presentation layer. It
> starts with a bit of input validation, then a bit of "pre-processing"
> and before you know it your presentation layer is doing business
> work...

Well the way i see it there really is no alternative. If the customer
wants a
complex GUI there is no way to solve this in html format. Of course
you could mix in javascript , but that would be a hell of a mess.

Jacob

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Jacob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
>

>>Sure. We do this; Huge J2EE app with thousands of users.
>>Front-end is a combination of VisualBasic and Swing.

> How do you accomplish this , by using RMI/CORBA?

The application server (WebLogic in our case) handle
this (using RMI I guess). On the semantic level we
use XML/SOAP, and Jakarta/Castor to convert Java
objects into XML.