Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: rt.jar description

Re: rt.jar description

Roedy Green

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 09:09:25 -0600, "F M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Does anyone know of a website or document that gives a thorough description
>of all the packages in rt.jar? I'm trying to figure out what can be safely
>deleted to make my program download smaller (it has a bundled JRE).

Your licence agreement forbids you from doing that. Though there is a
list somewhere of the optional packages you are allowed to prune. I
have seen reference to the list, but not the list itself.

Another way out of this is to use JET and SWT, so that only the
classes you use are bundled in compiled form. See
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

F M

> Your licence agreement forbids you from doing that. Though there is a
> list somewhere of the optional packages you are allowed to prune. I
> have seen reference to the list, but not the list itself.

Yeah, reading the license it seems that anything not mentioned as allowable
to delete must remain "as-is". I think that's a shame since the rt.jar has
stuff in it that it probably shouldn't (corba for instance- I wonder what
percentage of programs use corba). I can understand this mindset if the
idea is "one JRE on the system", but I think there are a lot of people
distributing runtimes with their apps in order to be sure that they work as
intended.

> Another way out of this is to use JET and SWT, so that only the
> classes you use are bundled in compiled form. See
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jet.html

I think I was using JET but I got a NullPointerException when trying to
start my program. I probably wasn't setting something correctly... I'll
have a look at SWT too

Avoiding "Bad Synchronous Description" Error when Synthesizing Takuon Soho VHDL 5 03-09-2005 05:41 AM
VHDL RTL description Zyd VHDL 1 04-14-2004 10:59 AM
recursive description with generate and processes Joerg Ritter VHDL 10 12-06-2003 10:24 PM
Download Dialog Defies Description... David Harrison Firefox 0 09-08-2003 01:37 PM
XML for VHDL documention and structural description of Hardware SoC Amontec Team VHDL 0 07-11-2003 02:29 PM

Advertisments