Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > internationalizing an applet

internationalizing an applet

Blah Blah

i would like to have an applet which will display Japanese in one
JTextComponent, Korean in another, and Cyrillic in a third (all in the same
frame). i am using UTF8. i can set this up correctly on my local machine
by altering my font.properties file, but i need to make sure that everything
displays correctly for users who see the applet in the web page.

any ideas?

daniel

Harald Hein

"Blah Blah" wrote:

> i would like to have an applet which will display Japanese in one
> JTextComponent, Korean in another, and Cyrillic in a third (all in
> the same frame).

The frame and the text fields are not relevant here. They have no
notation of a locale. In fact, the only thing that is relevant here
is that you have fonts installed that provide the necessary glyphes,
using the char codes as defined by Unicode.

> but i need to make sure that everything displays correctly for
> users who see the applet in the web page.

Is there any guarantee that your users will have all necessary fonts
available on their local machine? Can you ensure their
font.properties file is correctly set up, so these fonts are
properly maped to their Unicode positions?

If not, it gets ugly. You can provide the fonts as TTF fonts with
your applet. Then you can use Java's build in TTF font renderer to
render the glypes in your applet.

You need to license the fonts, and your applet's download time
increases.

HH