Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > system programming

system programming

Mag

Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
domain)?
Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
do it in Java too.

Thanks
Mag

Roedy Green

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:38:06 GMT, "Mag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
>domain)?
>Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
>do it in Java too.

Linux supports quite a variety of file systems, so running the code
under Linux would be the easiest. Then all you do is copy files.
Linux looks after the rest.

To copy files see http://mindprod.com/products.html#FILETRANSFER

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Chris Smith

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:38:06 GMT, "Mag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
> >Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
> >domain)?
> >Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
> >do it in Java too.

> Linux supports quite a variety of file systems, so running the code
> under Linux would be the easiest. Then all you do is copy files.
> Linux looks after the rest.

My guess is that Mag wanted to know about network backup software that
spans machines running multiple operating systems, not about backing up
a machine that dual-boots... especially given the wording "from NT to
Linux".

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Chris Smith

Mag wrote:
> Is it possible to do a backup programming in Java from NT to Linux (NT
> domain)?
> Where can I find documentation about this? I used WSH and ok, but I'd like
> do it in Java too.

Well, there are not APIs for controlling tape drives in the core Java
API, so AFAIK, you would need to include at least some native code for
that purpose... unless you plan to backup on removable disk media or
some such half-baked solution.

Once you've passed that hurdle, there are quite a few choices to be made
in backup software. Basically, you could use Java to write a
filesystem-aware logical backup, but not a physical backup. If you
wanted to do a physical backup, you'd again need native code to access
the source drives in that manner.

With those two tasks taken care of, yes it is quite possible to write
backup control software in Java. The piece that deals with networking,
arbitration for resources, etc. is well-suited to the JVM.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation