Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Why is Java-enabled web hosting so uncommon and expensive?

Re: Why is Java-enabled web hosting so uncommon and expensive?

Mickey Segal

"Matt O'Toole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lO%Ja.5159$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I'm amazed at what you can get
> for so little money -- every common scripting language, tag languages like

Cold
> Fusion, Frontpage extensions, and databases too, all for less than $10/month.
> Everything, that is, except Java, and JSP.

LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

dhek bhun kho

"Mickey Segal" <(E-Mail Removed)>, Wed, 02 Jul 2003 12:13:26 -0400:

> "Matt O'Toole" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:lO%Ja.5159$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> I'm amazed at what you can get
>> for so little money -- every common scripting language, tag languages like

> Cold
>> Fusion, Frontpage extensions, and databases too, all for less than $10/month.
>> Everything, that is, except Java, and JSP.

> LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
> servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

I am currently setting up a page at a www.mycgiserver.com (thanks again
for posting the link! forgot your name...)

If you donate money to the guys hosting it, you will get extra services
like bigger quota's and access to the J2EE registry.

There are some strange quirks with the server like getting a mysterious
page saying the server can contact the servlet runner at the local host,
but this doesn't happen too often and presumably doesn't happen when you
have donated money .

But in general my first impressions for personal use is quite good
actually, especially considering you don't have to pay a single penny for
it. (I am planning to wire some money to them).

JSP pages are served with a short delay as is expected, but that is no big
problem. (You can always compile them manually with the Jasper compiler).
Servlets have shorter response times as expected since there is no need
for compilation.

Deploying a web app is a bit awkward at first, and things like
getServletContext().getRealPath() doesn't work.

There is no central database server and if you do need a database you need
to use a database system that will access the database files directly
through the filesystem using a JDBC driver. (hsqldb)

Greets
Bhun.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 00:38:37 GMT, dhek bhun kho
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

> LunarPages (http://lunarpages.com/hosting.html) has $10/month hosting with
>> servlet / JSP support. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds promising.

>I am currently setting up a page at a www.mycgiserver.com (thanks again
>for posting the link! forgot your name...)

For a list of Java friendly ISP's see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Mickey Segal

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> For a list of Java friendly ISP's see
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/isp.html

What would be most helpful is a comparative review, but few programmers are
going to try more than one or two companies themselves.

(BTW there are some duplicates on Roedy Green's list.)

I plan to try Lunarpages tomorrow. I promised Jason Hunter I'd report on my
experiences for his list at http://www.servlets.com/isps/servlet/ISPViewAll