Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: isInstance problem

Re: isInstance problem

Joona I Palaste

Harald Hein <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> "Ben Jessel" wrote:
>> Oh....what's wrong with my hungarian notation then?

> Everything. It is made by idiots for idiots. For people who can't
> remember for a second that their variable "name" contains a String and
> not an integer, so they need to call it "sName". For people who don't
> get the fact that in object-oriented programming you constantly create
> new types when you define a new class - so you quickly run out of
> prefix characters for your own classes. For people who don't get
> polymorphism (it doesn't matter if if a method returns an object of
> type X or Y, as long as the returned object is suitable for the task).
> For people who don't get the fact that almost all variables in Java are
> references to objects, not the objects (so in HN almost every variable
> needs to be prefixed with something like an "r", giving you **** like
> "rsName").

> HN source code looks like someone just vomited in a bucket of
> characters, shited on top of it, shaked the whole mess and poured it
> over the monitor. I refuse to go near such brain farts.

I'll chime in here... This is not Hungarian notation's fault. It's
Microsoft's. Microsoft has created a bastardised mockery of Hungarian
notation and tried to pass it off as the real thing. Because it's
Microsoft, this bastardised mockery has completely ousted the original
Hungarian notation, which has now faded into obscurity.
The real Hungarian notation uses prefixes to mark the *use* for a
variable, not its datatype. For example, one prefix might mean that
the variable is intended for only temporary storage, while another
might mean that it holds crucial state and must not be overwritten at
any cost.
This is, unsurprisingly, completely lost on Microsoft. Sometimes I
wonder if they write unreadable code on purpose to discourage
competition.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ((E-Mail Removed)) ---------------------------\
"B-but Angus! You're a dragon!"

George W. Cherry

"Joona I Palaste" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bdsmjq$dn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Harald Hein <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> > "Ben Jessel" wrote:
> >> Oh....what's wrong with my hungarian notation then?

> > Everything. It is made by idiots for idiots. For people who can't
> > remember for a second that their variable "name" contains a String and
> > not an integer, so they need to call it "sName". For people who don't
> > get the fact that in object-oriented programming you constantly create
> > new types when you define a new class - so you quickly run out of
> > prefix characters for your own classes. For people who don't get
> > polymorphism (it doesn't matter if if a method returns an object of
> > type X or Y, as long as the returned object is suitable for the task).
> > For people who don't get the fact that almost all variables in Java are
> > references to objects, not the objects (so in HN almost every variable
> > needs to be prefixed with something like an "r", giving you **** like
> > "rsName").

> > HN source code looks like someone just vomited in a bucket of
> > characters, shited on top of it, shaked the whole mess and poured it
> > over the monitor. I refuse to go near such brain farts.

> I'll chime in here... This is not Hungarian notation's fault. It's
> Microsoft's. Microsoft has created a bastardised mockery of Hungarian
> notation and tried to pass it off as the real thing. Because it's
> Microsoft, this bastardised mockery has completely ousted the original
> Hungarian notation, which has now faded into obscurity.
> The real Hungarian notation uses prefixes to mark the *use* for a
> variable, not its datatype. For example, one prefix might mean that
> the variable is intended for only temporary storage, while another
> might mean that it holds crucial state and must not be overwritten at
> any cost.
> This is, unsurprisingly, completely lost on Microsoft. Sometimes I
> wonder if they write unreadable code on purpose to discourage
> competition.

Yes, but, damn it, Microsoft rules! Microsoft is to
operating systems as the United States is to nations
(arrogant, greedy, and deluded).

George

bug with isinstance() ? Mac Python 7 06-02-2005 12:35 AM
Is isinstance always "considered harmful"? Jordan Rastrick Python 5 05-16-2005 03:28 PM
Re: isinstance() bug Michal Vitecek Python 7 01-29-2004 05:50 PM
isinstance() bug Michal Vitecek Python 6 01-28-2004 05:51 PM
Re: isInstance problem Ben Jessel Java 0 07-10-2003 10:26 AM

Advertisments