Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > gl4java or jogl?

gl4java or jogl?

JK

The lack of a Mac port has always been a drag with Java3D. Also, the
Linux port had quite some flaws, which resulted in "Java for Windows
only" attitude of many Java3D developpers and implementors. Into the
bargain, AFAIK Sun never released the source code, making ports even
more difficult.

Nevertheless, I like the high-level API, and it makes me frightened to
programm in OpenGL in the future. (In fact, I only had a short look at
OpenGL, but it looked so damn low-level and C-like that I simply let it go).

Most Java3D implementations are based on OpenGL and my impression is
that even the Windows users prefer the OpenGL version to the DirectX one.

So why not build a (portable) Java3D or a similar high-level interface
on top of Jogl? Are there any plans to do so?

Regards
JK.

Scott Ellsworth wrote:
> In article <bdt4gc$pf2$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Xela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> Your position about Jogl vs Gl4java is clear. What do you think
>>about Java3D ans Jogl. Is Java3D nearly dead?

> I am a Mac programmer, which is a platform that does not have a Java3D
> implementation. I would have considered Apples' "Use jogl" position
> self serving had I not had a friend go to JavaOne this year. Java3D is
> dead, as best as he can tell, and jogl is central to the recently
> announced Java Gaming Initiative.
>
> So, Sun wants Jogl to succeed, and Apple already has working bindings
> for it. Damn cool.
>
> Scott

Peter Ashford

JK wrote:

> The lack of a Mac port has always been a drag with Java3D. Also, the
> Linux port had quite some flaws, which resulted in "Java for Windows
> only" attitude of many Java3D developpers and implementors. Into the
> bargain, AFAIK Sun never released the source code, making ports even
> more difficult.
>
> Nevertheless, I like the high-level API, and it makes me frightened to
> programm in OpenGL in the future. (In fact, I only had a short look at
> OpenGL, but it looked so damn low-level and C-like that I simply let it
> go).
>
> Most Java3D implementations are based on OpenGL and my impression is
> that even the Windows users prefer the OpenGL version to the DirectX one.
>
> So why not build a (portable) Java3D or a similar high-level interface
> on top of Jogl? Are there any plans to do so?
>
> Regards
> JK.

It seems to me like an obvious thing to do, but I don't know of any
plans to do so as of yet.

A current option for people wanting a scenegraph on top of Jogl is
OpenMind at http://www.mind2machine.com/gb/openmind/index.php. Note
that OpenMind is open source and currently needs a few more features,
though is reasonably impressive as it is (it's quite swift). OM's focus
is squarely on games programming.

Hope that helps

Peter.

Bura Tino

Peter Ashford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<3ZOMa.64318$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Bura Tino wrote:
>
> > Peter Ashford <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<_fJMa.63843$(E-Mail Removed)>...

> >>Making prebuilt binaries is still on the 'todo' list, as far as I can see.
> >>
> >>I've built jogl myself and it wasn't too difficult - but you need to
> >>download Antlr, and have VC++ installed.

> > I'm sorry to press on this point a little bit, but does everybody who
> > uses jogl have to do this? I've heard of many people using jogl and
> > it's hard for me to believe that everybody has compiled their code.

> Well, believe it - it's true.

Amazing!

> I have raised the issue of pre built binaries as a bug and mentioned it
> on the jogl forums. I would expect it will be fixed within a few days.

Thanks, I'll be checking in.
> >In
> > any case, I don't have VC++ and to tell you the truth, I've never done
> > C++ in Windows.
> >
> > Does that change your recommendation? Should I use gl4java until there
> > are prebuilt binaries? Or is there an older version of jogl that does
> > have prebuilt binaries (and installation instructions!)?

> Well, I wouldn't commit myself to a long term project on the basis of
> not being able to solve a short term problem. YMMV.
>
> Unfortunately there are not older versions of Jogl available - as I
> mentioned before, it has only just become avaiable at all.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter.

Peter Ashford

>>I have raised the issue of pre built binaries as a bug and mentioned it
>>on the jogl forums. I would expect it will be fixed within a few days.
>>

> Thanks, I'll be checking in.

They are available now:

http://jogl.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectDocumentList