Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

Chris

You mention that your development environment is Windows, but not what
the target platforms / environments are. What I mean is - what SORT
out application(s) are you going to be developing?

If it's largely client-side stuff (Windows-based GUIs, etc) then
you're probably better off focusing on C#, since it's heavily
orientated towards implementing client-side applications (MS advocates
will disagree and say it can do absolutely anything, but they'd be
wrong IMHO).

If it's more enterprise-level stuff (i.e. servers, web services, etc)
then Java has the market and is most suitable for this sort of
project.

One other point - Java is generally slower than C/C++, but only by a
small fraction usually, and is sometimes actually quicker for certain
situations! But the important issue is not speed of execution but ease
of development / time to market, i.e. Java is considerably easier to
optimise than C/C++, and certainly faster to write and less
error-prone. From what I've seen so far this is also the case for Java
and C#. I haven't yet seen any Java-C# speed comparisons (or at least
any unbiased ones).

Hope this helps a little.

- sarge