Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

Re: Comparison of Java, C# for development on Windows and future for them

Karsten Lentzsch

"Tim Ward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One issue is that Java apps look like Java apps,
> even with the Windows look-and-feel set.

Not necessarily.

I provide a Windows l&f implementation that aims to be
a precise emulation on Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000;
it does not yet emulate the Windows XP look correctly.

The upcoming J2SE 1.4.2 ships with an updated
Windows l&f that catches up with Windows XP.

Another option is the SWT that uses the native widgetry
and integrates smoothly with other Windows features.

I offer a bunch of free tools that demonstrate this l&f,
see for example www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/.
I tried to compete with other native disk report tools.
As you will see, JDiskReport has its pros and cons;
for example, the chart rendering quality is better than
in most native Windows tools.

Hope this helps,
--
Karsten Lentzsch
www.JGoodies.com - Java User Interface Design

Ethel Aardvark

"Karsten Lentzsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<avi9ru$j03$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>...
--snip--
> I provide a Windows l&f implementation that aims to be
> a precise emulation on Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000;
> it does not yet emulate the Windows XP look correctly.

Don't worry about it - open a "command" prompt window in XP and
compare it with most other windows. If it looks the same you are
obviously running a different version of XP than I! (And I am sure
there are others too.)

ETA

Chad Myers

"Ethel Aardvark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "Karsten Lentzsch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<avi9ru$j03$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com>...
> --snip--
> > I provide a Windows l&f implementation that aims to be
> > a precise emulation on Windows 95/98/NT/ME/2000;
> > it does not yet emulate the Windows XP look correctly.

> Don't worry about it - open a "command" prompt window in XP and
> compare it with most other windows. If it looks the same you are
> obviously running a different version of XP than I! (And I am sure
> there are others too.)

(Just as a side note, cmd.exe is one of the EXEs that is on the
list of apps that don't behave well with themes. There is a way
[I forget where or how] to edit a list of EXEs on which themes
should be disabled due to compatability)

-c