Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: simple text config file parser?

Re: simple text config file parser?

Phil Hanna

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 22:46:24 -0700, Sujee Maniyam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HI,
>I am looking for a parser to read / write a config file like this..
>
>---
> # comment
> [Version]
> 1.0.0
>
> [SectionA]
> #section comment
> propA1=valueA1
>
> [SectionB]
> b1
> b2
>---
>
>The parset should be
> - in java
> - open source. Something from Apache would be great.
> - should be able to *WRITE* the file as well (say user changes a
>property in GUI). most of the parsers can't do this, while maintaining
>the structure.
> - I prefer plain text for config files, no xml.
>

>any suggestions would be appreciated. I almost started doing mine, but
>don't want to re-invent the wheel for something so basic.

Sometimes reinventing the wheel is less trouble than searching for a
package that will do exactly what you want, learning it, customizing
it, etc. What's the point? This is a very simple class to write.
Why not just take a crack at it?
--
Phil Hanna
Author of JSP 2.0: The Complete Reference