Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java in the working world...

Java in the working world...

Joe Bob Anonymous

So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace utilizing things
like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the direction
of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.

Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want you to have
experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general might give me an
edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here. How hard would
it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an odd situation
where I haven't had to use such things yet??

Sudsy

Joe Bob Anonymous wrote:
> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace
> utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in
> the direction
> of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
>
> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want
> you to have
> experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general
> might give me an
> edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here.
> How hard would
> it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an
> odd situation
> where I haven't had to use such things yet??

I don't think it's unusual that you haven't had exposure to EJBs.
Based on my own experience, only big companies (and surprisingly
few at that) seem to have taken on the J2EE challenge. It's a
shame, IMHO, as this is an elegant platform for mission-critical
apps.
But then I've seen more jobs listed in the past two weeks than
I've seen in months. Perhaps the climate is thawing? That would
be very nice news and long in coming. Perhaps companies have
finally figured out that you can't stay in maintenance mode
forever.
If you wanted to get some practice on your own then you could
download a J2EE server from either Sun or IBM. The WebSphere
AppServer can be had on a six month trial basis for free. It's
fun (seriously!) even if you don't have a real-world app to
deliver.

Ken Ream

"Joe Bob Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsW%La.811$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace

utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the

direction
> of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
>
> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want

you to have
> experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general might

give me an
> edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here. How

hard would
> it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an

odd situation
> where I haven't had to use such things yet??

It helps if you understand http. But you should haven't much problems.
Not odd, I've seen plenty of jobs where they wanted Swing experience.
Every company has different needs.

Miguel De Anda

"Joe Bob Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsW%La.811$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace

utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the

direction
> of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
>
> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want

you to have
> experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general might

give me an
> edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here. How

hard would
> it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an

odd situation
> where I haven't had to use such things yet??

Install tomcat or something and play with it at home in your spare time.

Wendy S

Joe Bob Anonymous wrote:

> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace
> utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the
> direction of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want
> you to have experience in the later?

I haven't been job hunting lately, but I've been using JSP & Servlets
(Struts/JSTL/Tomcat) exclusively and NOT the things in your first list!

No EJB's though. I read about them, asked around, and discovered that for
our little app, they would most likely be overkill.

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ
"BTW, Lucifer just called and he needs a pair of ice skates "

Ramon F Herrera

I have concerns similar to those of Joe Bob. I began writing
simple Swing applications, then added client JDBC, wrote a large
app and most recently some applets. Now I find myself limited by
the kinds of issues that made RMI, JNI and servlets necessary.

So, what's next? Should I learn RMI and JNI now or should
I go straight to servlets? I have the vague impression that
the newfangled servlet replaced the older RMI and JNI?

TIA,

-Ramon

Joe Bob Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<PW%La.811$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the direction
> of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
>
> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want you to have
> experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general might give me an
> edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here. How hard would
> it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an odd situation
> where I haven't had to use such things yet??

Tim Jowers

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ramon F Herrera) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
....snip...
> So, what's next? Should I learn RMI and JNI now or should
> I go straight to servlets? I have the vague impression that
> the newfangled servlet replaced the older RMI and JNI?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon
>
> Joe Bob Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<PW%La.811$(E-Mail Removed) >...
> > So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace utilizing things
> > like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the direction
> > of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.

Maybe you should start by looking at the MVC design pattern. And you
maybe can skip a few steps by looking at Web Services rather than
servlets if you want. Maybe that will be the next hot topic as it
allows code to be written in .NET or J2EE and work together. As
always, the sun tutorials are a good place to start.
Tim

Daniel Dyer

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:21:02 -0700, Wendy S <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Joe Bob Anonymous wrote:
>
>> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace
>> utilizing things
>> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in
>> the
>> direction of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.
>> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want
>> you to have experience in the later?

> I haven't been job hunting lately, but I've been using JSP & Servlets
> (Struts/JSTL/Tomcat) exclusively and NOT the things in your first list!
>
> No EJB's though. I read about them, asked around, and discovered that
> for our little app, they would most likely be overkill.

You're right, EJBs are overkill in many situations. While EJBs have many
obvious advantages, often they are used because some programmer wants to
try something new and get the latest buzzword on his/her CV. The most
important thing to learn about EJBs is when not to use them. That's not to
say that EJBs are not useful in the right situations, but they're not a
silver bullet.

Dan.

--
Daniel Dyer
Empathy Software (http://www.empathysoftware.com)

ninhoa@yahoo.es

(E-Mail Removed) (Ramon F Herrera) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I have concerns similar to those of Joe Bob. I began writing
> simple Swing applications, then added client JDBC, wrote a large
> app and most recently some applets. Now I find myself limited by
> the kinds of issues that made RMI, JNI and servlets necessary.
>
> So, what's next? Should I learn RMI and JNI now or should
> I go straight to servlets? I have the vague impression that
> the newfangled servlet replaced the older RMI and JNI?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon

Download tomcat and learn servlets/jsp's (and maybe struts)

Joona I Palaste

Joe Bob Anonymous <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> So, I've spent the last five or so years using Java at my workplace utilizing things
> like RMI, JNI, JDBC and Swing. However, I've not yet used anything in the direction
> of JSPs, Servlets or EJBs.

> Is it just me or does it seem like all jobs being offered out there want you to have
> experience in the later? I figured my experience in Java in general might give me an
> edge in the learning curve... but I wanna ask the community out here. How hard would
> it be for me to tune my skills in the J2EE direction?? Am I just in an odd situation
> where I haven't had to use such things yet??

Servlets are pretty much crucial in my line of Java programming work.
We are developing an in-house monitoring system for our customer, which
will be working via a web browser interface. On the side of our
software, the communication with the user is implemented with Servlets.
We also use JSPs for some parts of the user interface. On the opposite
end, the system communicates with the customer's database using JDBC.
On the other hand, we don't use any of the other technologies you
mention - RMI, JNI, EJB or even Swing.

--
/-- Joona Palaste ((E-Mail Removed)) ---------------------------\
"Life without ostriches is like coffee with milk."