Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Porting from Swing to AWT?

Porting from Swing to AWT?

Ramon F Herrera

Just when I became proficient with Swing, I found out that
MS IE doesn't support it and hence I will have to downgrade
my applets to AWT. I use JBuilder 8 and have been looking
around the "Choice" and "Popup" classes, which seem to be
the predecessors of JComboBox.

Is there some tutorial or source code available on how
to implement Swing-less drop down boxes, with events
and all?

TIA,

-Ramon F. Herrera

hh

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
> Just when I became proficient with Swing, I found out that
> MS IE doesn't support it and hence I will have to downgrade
> my applets to AWT. I use JBuilder 8 and have been looking
> around the "Choice" and "Popup" classes, which seem to be
> the predecessors of JComboBox.
>
> Is there some tutorial or source code available on how
> to implement Swing-less drop down boxes, with events
> and all?
>
> TIA,
>
> -Ramon F. Herrera

What's the plan when IE doesn't even know what an AWT Applet is?
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...27/bs_nf/21821

Brandon Blackmoor

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

> Just when I became proficient with Swing, I found
> out that MS IE doesn't support it

a) MS IE does support Swing with the proper plug-in (for the moment), and

b) you should switch to Mozilla or Opera, anyway. Internet Explorer has
dropped the ball and fallen behind with regard to support of web
standards (see also: <http://www.webstandards.org/>).

Gerbrand van Dieijen

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:57:35 -0400, Brandon Blackmoor wrote:
>Ramon F Herrera wrote:
>>
>> Just when I became proficient with Swing, I found
> > out that MS IE doesn't support it

>a) MS IE does support Swing with the proper plug-in (for the moment), and
>
>b) you should switch to Mozilla or Opera, anyway. Internet Explorer has
>dropped the ball and fallen behind with regard to support of web
>standards (see also: <http://www.webstandards.org/>).

Completely off topic, but maybe interesting:
New versions of Internet Explorer (7 and higher) won't be available
as a seperate download anymore. They will only be installed together
with a (new) version of Windows.
Furthermore, it is not possible anymore to install Internet Explorer
from the website on Windows 98, not even version 5 (though it
keeps working and being updated if you have already installed it)

--
Gerbrand van Dieijen

WWW: http://twisted.warande.net
ICQ: 19345450