Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Does domain still matter?

Does domain still matter?

John

Hi, just need a quick confirmation on the Internet domains...

I've been searching around and it seems that the Internet domain name
no longer has any special meaning like it used to have. So, if I set
up a web site, it really does not matter whether I use .net or .org or
..com. Is this correct? Is there anything I need to consider when
picking a domain?

John

Marco Schmidt

John:

>I've been searching around and it seems that the Internet domain name
>no longer has any special meaning like it used to have. So, if I set
>up a web site, it really does not matter whether I use .net or .org or
>.com. Is this correct?

Those top level domains were supposed to mean
..net = network provider
..org = non-profit organization
..com = for-profit organization

But this was never enforced, and as you say, these days it doesn't
really matter what you take. Still, no reason not to follow these
recommendations.

>Is there anything I need to consider when
>picking a domain?

Don't use other people's trademarks or names that even sound similar.

In addition, there are restrictions on what characters you can use in
a domain name.

Maybe you can get better feedback in a more appropriate newsgroup,
somewhere in the comp.infosystems.* hierarchy.

Regards,
Marco

Shripathi Kamath

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi, just need a quick confirmation on the Internet domains...
>
> I've been searching around and it seems that the Internet domain name
> no longer has any special meaning like it used to have. So, if I set
> up a web site, it really does not matter whether I use .net or .org or
> .com. Is this correct? Is there anything I need to consider when
> picking a domain?
>
> John

This is perhaps the wrong forum for your query, but let me offer my $0.02
worth.

..com extensions are still the most "valuable" ones, however very few
meaningful ones are left. Depending on how popular your web site is, you
may or may not consider it valuable.

Pick a name that best suits your website wares, and if you can get it in
..com, go for it. .org is generally for organizations, and most people may
not make the association with .org rightaway.

It is as important as choosing a name for your business. Catchy names are
always appealing, it is hard to find one someone else hasn't used.

--
Shripathi Kamath
NETAPHOR SOFTWARE INC.