Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > File getName method behaviour on different OS!

File getName method behaviour on different OS!

Tom

I try this code:
File file = new File(args[0]);
String filename = file.getName();
System.out.println("file name : " + filename);

I run it on windows with these arguments:
/opt/test/test1.txt
c:\windows\test2.txt

I got this:
file name : test1.txt
file name : test2.txt

If I run it on Linux I get this:
file name : test1.txt
file name : c:\windows\test2.txt

Why I don't get the same thing? I know it does not make sense to write
down a path that isn't in the system format. I will use an URL format
to get the real name…

Tom

Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tom) said:
>I try this code:
> File file = new File(args[0]);
> String filename = file.getName();
> System.out.println("file name : " + filename);
>
>I run it on windows with these arguments:
>/opt/test/test1.txt
>c:\windows\test2.txt
>
>I got this:
>file name : test1.txt
>file name : test2.txt
>
>If I run it on Linux I get this:
>file name : test1.txt
>file name : c:\windows\test2.txt
>
>Why I don't get the same thing? I know it does not make sense to write

Because on Windows, the forward slash and the back slash both work as path
separators, so "/opt/test/test1.txt" would be a file test1.txt in the path
\opt\test on the current drive. On the other hand, Linux allows
backslashes and colons in file names, so "c:\windows\test2.txt" would
indicate a file called "c:\windows\test2.txt" in the current directory.

Here is a part of an "ls" in my home directory:

cfs.zip crichton_faq dft-v330img.bin
cleanfeed-20010715.tgz c:\windows\test2.txt dickhead
clubtop5 datasources disk

--
Paul Tomblin <(E-Mail Removed)>, not speaking for anybody
"The question of whether a computer can think is no more

File.getName() yes and no? vbhelpski@yahoo.com Java 1 05-02-2005 05:06 PM
class.getName() Robert Mark Bram Java 8 06-18-2004 01:18 PM
Re: Names from Class.getName() Rico Java 4 12-02-2003 05:12 PM
names from Class.getName() Rico Java 4 12-01-2003 08:57 PM

Advertisments