Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Howto find out any Ehternet Adresses in a Subnet?

Howto find out any Ehternet Adresses in a Subnet?

Sascha Teifke

I need to find all NICs of a specific Vendor in my LAN.

I guess I can fetch them if I do a Ethernet Broadcast and
checking for the Vendors MAC-OUI.

But how can this be done using JAVA?

Thank you in advance
Sascha

Sudsy

Sascha Teifke wrote:
> I need to find all NICs of a specific Vendor in my LAN.
>
> I guess I can fetch them if I do a Ethernet Broadcast and
> checking for the Vendors MAC-OUI.
>
> But how can this be done using JAVA?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Sascha

Use the right tool for the job. Seriously, Java makes it all very
simple to perform most higher-level network operations. Heck, they
even have HttpURLConnection which makes 'web programming real easy.
For the low-level network stuff (MACs, ICMP, etc.) you need a low-
level language. C on *NIX is ideal for this. Java, OTOH, was never
designed for these machinations.
Suggestion: don't try to shoehorn a square peg into a round hole.

Sascha Teifke

Thanks,

that was the pointer into the right direction!
I found a WinPCap Wrapper for Java at:

http://netresearch.ics.uci.edu/kfuji...doc/index.html

Thank you both!

Greetz