Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > history.go(-1) and Internet Explorer

history.go(-1) and Internet Explorer

Alain

I am currently working on an ASP.net application.

In some situation when the Back button is pressed from the browser toolbar,
Internet explorer displays me a cached page from the history. In other situation
the previous page is regenerated (the page_load event is called).

It is the same page but in a different sequence. In Firefox it works fine!!

Alai

Bruno Alexandre

and what do u need?

to display a cahed version or a new version?

--

Bruno Alexandre
(a Portuguese in Denmark)

"Alain" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am currently working on an ASP.net application.
>
> In some situation when the Back button is pressed from the browser
> toolbar, Internet explorer displays me a cached page from the history. In
> other situation the previous page is regenerated (the page_load event is
> called).
>
> It is the same page but in a different sequence. In Firefox it works
> fine!!
>
> Alain

Alain

Hello Bruno,

I should suspect that when I hit the back button, the cached version is displayed
(if nothing is set to specifically reload the page).

I will describe my problem in more detail:

I have a search results page with a state. When I select the detail and hit
the back button, the results are kept and everything is OK. But on the detail
page is also a link that opens another popup detail window. If I hit the
back button after opening the popup window, the search page is reloaded and
executes the Page_load event. This is not suspected behaviour because firefox
does this correctly.

In all cases I need the page from the cache.

Alain

> and what do u need?
>
> to display a cahed version or a new version?
>
> "Alain" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>
>> I am currently working on an ASP.net application.
>>
>> In some situation when the Back button is pressed from the browser
>> toolbar, Internet explorer displays me a cached page from the
>> history. In other situation the previous page is regenerated (the
>> page_load event is called).
>>
>> It is the same page but in a different sequence. In Firefox it works
>> fine!!
>>
>> Alain

Mike

You may have caching turned off in IE. If that is the case, then IE
will not use a cached version, even if the site says the page can be
cached.

1) use IE menu "Tools" -> "Internet Options"
2) in the "temporary internet files" section, select the "Settings"
button
3) set the "Check for newer version of stored pages:" option
appropriately.

Michael Lang
XQuiSoft LLC
http://www.xquisoft.com/

Alain

Hello Mike,

This does not explain why in the first case the page is loaded from the cache
and in the second page not. Does it have anything to do with the popup being
openend??

> You may have caching turned off in IE. If that is the case, then IE
> will not use a cached version, even if the site says the page can be
> cached.
>
> 1) use IE menu "Tools" -> "Internet Options"
> 2) in the "temporary internet files" section, select the "Settings"
> button
> 3) set the "Check for newer version of stored pages:" option
> appropriately.
> Michael Lang
> XQuiSoft LLC
> http://www.xquisoft.com

Mike

Is it possible that the page specifies that it is valid for a given
amount of time, and that time has elapsed when the Page_Load is called?
Check the expiration of the page in question.

Use Fiddler to inspect your pages...
http://www.fiddlertool.com/Fiddler/

Michael Lang
XQuiSoft LLC