Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Setting up an ASP.NET 2.0 application in a subfolder

Setting up an ASP.NET 2.0 application in a subfolder

Jimi

Hi all, we are deploying a test ASP.NET 2.0 website and as such our test url
looks something like

http://202.45.201.25/testfolder

Now if I go to the above url and view my default page

http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/default.aspx

I get the old

==========

Parser Error

Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.

Source Error:

Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master"
AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default"
Title="Untitled Page" %>
Line 2:
Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx" TagName="AdminNav"
TagPrefix="uc1" %>

==========

As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the
root folder

e.g.

http://202.45.201.25/bin

instead of

http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin

in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of the
BIN folder under http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin and placed it in the
bin folder under http://202.45.201.25/bin

How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??

TIA
Mark

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??

The same way you do it in ASP.NET 1.1 :

You create an IIS application which points to testfolder.
Then, you'll be able to place your testfolder dll's in testfolder/bin

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Jimi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all, we are deploying a test ASP.NET 2.0 website and as such our test url looks something like
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder
>
> Now if I go to the above url and view my default page
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/default.aspx
>
> I get the old
>
> ==========
>
> Parser Error
> Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file
> appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.
>
> Source Error:
>
> Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
> CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default" Title="Untitled Page" %>
> Line 2:
> Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx" TagName="AdminNav" TagPrefix="uc1" %>
>

> ==========
>
> As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the root folder
>
> e.g.
>
> http://202.45.201.25/bin
>
> instead of
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin
>
> in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of the BIN folder under
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin and placed it in the bin folder under http://202.45.201.25/bin
>
> How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??
>
> TIA
> Mark

=?Utf-8?B?U2hhaWxlc2ggSmFubnU=?=

Hi Jimi
If you want a project that is similar to Asp.net 1.1 download this add on
for vs2005.
Using this you can easily migrate your web application from previous version
and all the code behind is compiled into a single assembly
The link is
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/re...structure/wap/

If you don;t want this try using publising wizard inside vs2005 to deploy
your project.

Thanks
Shailesh

"Jimi" wrote:

> Hi all, we are deploying a test ASP.NET 2.0 website and as such our test url
> looks something like
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder
>
> Now if I go to the above url and view my default page
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/default.aspx
>
> I get the old
>
> ==========
>
> Parser Error
> service this request. Please review the following specific parse error
> details and modify your source file appropriately.
>
> Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.
>
> Source Error:
>
> Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master"
> AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default"
> Title="Untitled Page" %>
> Line 2:
> Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx" TagName="AdminNav"
> TagPrefix="uc1" %>
>

> ==========
>
> As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the
> root folder
>
> e.g.
>
> http://202.45.201.25/bin
>
> instead of
>
> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin
>
> in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of the
> BIN folder under http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin and placed it in the
> bin folder under http://202.45.201.25/bin
>
> How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??
>
> TIA
> Mark

Juan T. Llibre

I should add a bit to this reply.

What I wrote reflects the idea that, in ASP.NET 2.0, you can deploy assemblies
to the /bin directory just like you can with the 1.1 .Net Framework/ASP.NET 1.1.

To do that, you just compile, from the command-line,
your dll's and place them in the /bin directory.

What might be confusing is that you are really referring
to the way VS 2003 and VS 2005 deploy their websites.

VS 2003 builds its websites as a single dll which it places in the /bin directory.
VS 2005 builds its websites as many dll's, with random names.

As Shailesh points out, the WAP can compile your websites created
with VS 2005 using the same compilation model as VS 2003.

If you decide to go that way, make sure you read Scott Guthrie's tutoriqals :
http://webproject.scottgu.com/

Also, don't forget to visit the WAP forum :
http://forums.asp.net/1019/showforum.aspx

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??

> The same way you do it in ASP.NET 1.1 :
>
> You create an IIS application which points to testfolder.
> Then, you'll be able to place your testfolder dll's in testfolder/bin
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Jimi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all, we are deploying a test ASP.NET 2.0 website and as such our test url looks something like
>>
>> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder
>>
>> Now if I go to the above url and view my default page
>>
>> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/default.aspx
>>
>> I get the old
>>
>> ==========
>>
>> Parser Error
>> Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file
>> appropriately.
>>
>> Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.
>>
>> Source Error:
>>
>> Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master" AutoEventWireup="true"
>> CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default" Title="Untitled Page" %>
>> Line 2:
>> Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx" TagName="AdminNav" TagPrefix="uc1" %>
>>

>> ==========
>>
>> As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the root folder
>>
>> e.g.
>>
>> http://202.45.201.25/bin
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin
>>
>> in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of the BIN folder under
>> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin and placed it in the bin folder under
>> http://202.45.201.25/bin
>>
>> How can I do this in ASP.NET 2.0??
>>
>> TIA
>> Mark

Jimi

Thanks for your help people I got it working in the end

Thanks again
Mark
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

>>> error details and modify your source file appropriately.
>>>
>>> Parser Error Message: Could not load type 'Default'.
>>>
>>> Source Error:
>>>
>>> Line 1: <%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/Default.master"
>>> AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="Default"
>>> Title="Untitled Page" %>
>>> Line 2:
>>> Line 3: <%@ Register Src="UserControls/AdminNav.ascx"
>>> TagName="AdminNav" TagPrefix="uc1" %>
>>>

>>> ==========
>>>
>>> As I believe that the ASP.NET engine is looking for the bin files in the
>>> root folder
>>>
>>> e.g.
>>>
>>> http://202.45.201.25/bin
>>>
>>> instead of
>>>
>>> http://202.45.201.25/testfolder/bin
>>>
>>> in the 1.1 framework I would have simply copied the necessary dll out of

Running a seperate ASP.NET application in a subfolder MarkusJNZ@gmail.com ASP .Net 7 07-16-2007 10:26 PM
ASP.Net -- Create non-application subfolder Jeff ASP .Net 1 08-01-2005 07:17 PM
Subfolder problem in Web Application Gregor Winstanley ASP .Net 0 07-29-2005 09:45 PM
Subfolder for themes? Dan Firefox 1 10-16-2004 04:37 PM
asp.net application won't run from subfolder m_evergreen ASP .Net 1 04-22-2004 07:53 PM

Advertisments