Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Generated UPDATE statement. could not determine which columns uniquely identify the rows for "Customers"

Generated UPDATE statement. could not determine which columns uniquely identify the rows for "Customers"

bazzer

i am having trouble updating a datset because i get the follwing error
in the Data Adapter configuration Wizard:

Generated UPDATE statement. could not determine which columns uniquely
identify the rows for "Customers"

'Customers' is the only table from the database that im using for this
query, so it cant be anything to do with a problem of having multiple
tables. and the primary key is set. so i dont understand what the
problem is.

im using asp.net 2003, a microsoft access database, and an
OdbcDataAdapter.

can anyone help?

Jeff Dillon

It sounds like the primary key is NOT set, or has duplicate values

Jeff
"bazzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>i am having trouble updating a datset because i get the follwing error
> in the Data Adapter configuration Wizard:
>
> Generated UPDATE statement. could not determine which columns uniquely
> identify the rows for "Customers"
>
> 'Customers' is the only table from the database that im using for this
> query, so it cant be anything to do with a problem of having multiple
> tables. and the primary key is set. so i dont understand what the
> problem is.
>
> im using asp.net 2003, a microsoft access database, and an
> OdbcDataAdapter.
>
> can anyone help?

bazzer

ive tried linking to a database with only one table, that has 2 fields,
'numbers', and 'names', set the primary key to numbers, and still it
wont work. ive even tried using windows forms and still i get the same
errors.

Jeff Dillon

Did you check my suggestion?

"bazzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> ive tried linking to a database with only one table, that has 2 fields,
> 'numbers', and 'names', set the primary key to numbers, and still it
> wont work. ive even tried using windows forms and still i get the same
> errors.

bazzer

your suggestion? checking if the primary key is set, and checking for
duplicate values?

primary key is definetly set. and its set to Autonumber. By duplicate
values do you mean duplicate fields or primary keys. but as i said, ive
tried linking to a database with only one table, that has only 2
fields, 'numbers', and 'names', set the primary key to numbers, and
still it
wont work even with the most basic table. ive even tried using windows
forms and still i get the same errors. im about ready to give up really
cause no one seems to have a clue whats wrong. myself included. i can
only assume its something to do with the connection to the database
maybe. thanks for the help though. if u think of anything else let me
know.

Jeff Dillon

Weird. Perhaps create a brand new database and try there? Perhaps it's
corrupted?

Jeff

"bazzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> your suggestion? checking if the primary key is set, and checking for
> duplicate values?
>
> primary key is definetly set. and its set to Autonumber. By duplicate
> values do you mean duplicate fields or primary keys. but as i said, ive
> tried linking to a database with only one table, that has only 2
> fields, 'numbers', and 'names', set the primary key to numbers, and
> still it
> wont work even with the most basic table. ive even tried using windows
> forms and still i get the same errors. im about ready to give up really
> cause no one seems to have a clue whats wrong. myself included. i can
> only assume its something to do with the connection to the database
> maybe. thanks for the help though. if u think of anything else let me
> know.

bazzer

tried that too a few times im afraid.

Jeff Dillon

I did see this from a Google search

If I switch to OleDbConnection instead of OdbcConnection, everything's ok.

"Jeff Dillon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Weird. Perhaps create a brand new database and try there? Perhaps it's
> corrupted?
>
> Jeff
>
> "bazzer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> your suggestion? checking if the primary key is set, and checking for
>> duplicate values?
>>
>> primary key is definetly set. and its set to Autonumber. By duplicate
>> values do you mean duplicate fields or primary keys. but as i said, ive
>> tried linking to a database with only one table, that has only 2
>> fields, 'numbers', and 'names', set the primary key to numbers, and
>> still it
>> wont work even with the most basic table. ive even tried using windows
>> forms and still i get the same errors. im about ready to give up really
>> cause no one seems to have a clue whats wrong. myself included. i can
>> only assume its something to do with the connection to the database
>> maybe. thanks for the help though. if u think of anything else let me
>> know.

kruch kruch is offline
Junior Member

Did you ever get this issue resolved. I am having the same problem and looking for a solution.