Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > What Happened to Sql Enterprise Manager and Sql Query Analyser in Visual Studio 2005

What Happened to Sql Enterprise Manager and Sql Query Analyser in Visual Studio 2005

Edward

Hi All,

Thanks upfront for any help given me.

I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional & Sql Server on an XP SP2
PC and I do not see the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager and Sql Analyser?

Would anyone know what happened to these tools?

I selected to install the client tools but I do not see anything that looks
like the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager.

Thanks

Edward

Teemu Keiski

SQL Server Management Studio is the tool in SQl2005, it is like QA and EM
combined. It's just not available with the Express edition bundled with
VS2005 (you'd need to use VS in that case to access SQL instance), but only
at Developer, Workgroup edition etc
(http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/default.mspx)

--
Teemu Keiski
ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

"Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EVKZf.2062$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All,
>
> Thanks upfront for any help given me.
>
> I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional & Sql Server on an XP SP2
> PC and I do not see the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager and Sql
> Analyser?
>
> Would anyone know what happened to these tools?
>
> I selected to install the client tools but I do not see anything that
> looks like the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager.
>
> Thanks
>
> Edward

Chris Fulstow

Hi Edward,

If you're using SQL Server 2005 Express Edition then you can either use
Visual Studio 2005's built-in Server Explorer to manage you database,
or download SQL Server Management Studio Express from Microsoft:

You can also manage your database from the command-line using
sqlcmd.exe:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...2(SQL.90).aspx

HTH,

Chris

Edward

gosh I must be dumb because I have installed Sql Server 2005 Professional
AND VIsual Studio 2005 Professional but I cannot find this SQL Server
Management Studio ... I installed all the tools and options that came on the
CD but I cannot see any icons as such.

any idea what's wrong?

thanks so much

Edward

news:u2%(E-Mail Removed)...
> SQL Server Management Studio is the tool in SQl2005, it is like QA and EM
> combined. It's just not available with the Express edition bundled with
> VS2005 (you'd need to use VS in that case to access SQL instance), but
> only at Developer, Workgroup edition etc
> (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/default.mspx)
>
> --
> Teemu Keiski
> ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider
> Finland, EU
> http://blogs.aspadvice.com/joteke
>

> "Edward" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EVKZf.2062$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Thanks upfront for any help given me.
>>
>> I just installed Visual Studio 2005 Professional & Sql Server on an XP
>> SP2
>> PC and I do not see the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager and Sql
>> Analyser?
>>
>> Would anyone know what happened to these tools?
>>
>> I selected to install the client tools but I do not see anything that
>> looks like the old Sql Server Enterprise Manager.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Edward

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

Ah, there is no SQL Server "Professional" SKU. There is Express, Workgroup,
Standard, Enterprise and Developer. SQL Express is shipped with VS 2005 and
does not come with the tools. However, there is a beta of these tools on the
web.

--
William (Bill) Vaughn

news:Cvn_f.3299$(E-Mail Removed)...