Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET or Cold Fusion

ASP.NET or Cold Fusion

tomlebold@msn.com

I'm a Microsoft Access and ASP.NET developer.
Currently I'm working at a company that uses Cold Fusion and we can't
find any
developers. I suggested that we use ASP.NET and Visual Studios.
The Cold Fusion developers tell me that it takes longer to develope
applications using ASP.NET. We are losing money because we can't get
the applications created in Cold Fusion.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

I would ask them for proof that Cold Fusion takes less time than ASP.NET.
It might be true for some kinds of applications, but is it true for the apps
you are building?
I have nothing against Cold Fusion. I've used it before although that was a
couple versions ago. At the time it seemed very comparable to ASP as far as
development style and time to develop. Now that ASP.NET has the power of
the .NET Framework behind it, that makes it more powerful and flexible than
most alternatives.
You might also consider performance metrics. I'm not sure how the current
versions of ASP.NET and cold fusion compare to each other for performance
these days, but I'd bet on ASP.NET when it comes to complex applications.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm a Microsoft Access and ASP.NET developer.
> Currently I'm working at a company that uses Cold Fusion and we can't
> find any
> developers. I suggested that we use ASP.NET and Visual Studios.
> The Cold Fusion developers tell me that it takes longer to develope
> applications using ASP.NET. We are losing money because we can't get
> the applications created in Cold Fusion.

andyblum@gmail.com

I do not know where you are located, but my company has a number of
Cold Fusion developers that may be of service to you. Some are
domestic and some are overseas. Send me an email or call me at
201-679-0953.

Thanks,

Andy Blum
CEO
www.wildthoughttech.com

Spam Catcher

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1144270253.222115.152950
@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I suggested that we use ASP.NET and Visual Studios.
> The Cold Fusion developers tell me that it takes longer to develope
> applications using ASP.NET. We are losing money because we can't get
> the applications created in Cold Fusion.

I've developed in ASP, PHP, CFML, and ASP.NET.

In terms of development time, here is what I found:

ASP / CFML (fastest)
PHP
ASP.NET (slowest)

HOWEVER, the time difference is minimal once you learn the .NET framework.
Most of the development overhead comes from OO programming methodologies
rather than .NET itself.

BUT when it comes to maintainability ASP.NET is above and shoulders the
competition.

So although simple applications take longer in .NET, maintainability alone
is worth the extra development time.

I highly recommend your CFML developers to switch to ASP.NET. Most won't
regret it. Yes, it's painful to learn a whole new development framework -
but it's WELL worth the effort.

Jon Paal

ColdFusion is much easier to develop with because it does not require the complexity of the framework.

ColdFusion can also use ASP.net...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm a Microsoft Access and ASP.NET developer.
> Currently I'm working at a company that uses Cold Fusion and we can't
> find any
> developers. I suggested that we use ASP.NET and Visual Studios.
> The Cold Fusion developers tell me that it takes longer to develope
> applications using ASP.NET. We are losing money because we can't get
> the applications created in Cold Fusion.

Brian F

Seconded. Go ColdFusion if you have any doubts.

The biggest drawback to ColdFusion is the typelessness and lack of
modularity. The community came up with a programming standard called
FuseBox to help manage it. It works reliably for a small website with
a specific purpose - no more than three developers or so. I think you'd
see maintenance/scalability issues after that.

The advantages to ColdFusion are small learning curve, very rapid
development, fine control, and simplicity. Database connectivity is
very simplified. Shooting yourself in the foot is much more difficult.
CF integrates with COM, Java, MS dlls, and I'd imagine most web
services by now (haven't checked in a while).

I moved from ColdFusion 6.0 to ASPX 2.0. I'm an experienced programmer
with a ton of C++ and Java. So protocols, oop, etc are all well
understood. But Microsoft goes nuts over pragmas, directives, wizards,
and drag-and-drop which is so much Club Microsoft stuff. There is a
big learning curve to learn this BS. And it worsens the more you think
"I want to do this" versus "How does Microsoft want me to do this?"
The first three months I used ASP.NET I wrestled against it.

One more parting shot, VS 2005 is crap. Intellisense isn't real-time.
It lags behind reality by about 2-5 minutes or until the next build.
Nested master pages won't render graphically. Microsoft messes with
the root directory on the internal web server. ASP tags aren't
recognized in a content page when editting unless /the master page is
open/ in the editor. Who knows why. Refactoring is a joke. It takes
me at least five minutes to rename a variable. Most of the time it
breaks.

Side note: Eclipse is the IDE of choice. Brilliant. I haven't tried
it with .NET yet. But I've heard people have had success with it
outside of Java.