Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.net built in ajax calls?

ASP.net built in ajax calls?

darrel

Last week I asked about ASP.net 2.0 AJAX frameworks and there appears to be
several to choose from.

I haven't used ASP.net 2.0 yet, but from doing a bit of reading, it appears
that ASP.net 2.0 also has some client side call-backs built in that can
update the display via AJAX.

To ask a more specific question, do I need a specific AJAX framework to do
the following:

1) Drag-n-drop interface
2) Dynamic control diplay updates without a page load.

#1 seems more of a javascript library task (like script.aculo.us and
Prototype) so probably not a need for any .net AJAX framework.

But what about #2? Is that something I should have a framwork for, or is
that already built into .net 2.0?

Tangental question...are any of the .net AJAX framworks using the Prototype
javascript framwork?

-Darrel

Mark

My latest project is in 2.0 and, although there are a lot of nifty new
controls, I haven't seen anything that uses AJAX. Wish it did. Those
constant postbacks are really annoying.

Mark

Flinky Wisty Pomm

The GridView, FormView et al have support for out-of-band refreshes for
sorting, paging and so forth. If you want anything much more
complicated than that you have to write the code by hand. The Ajax
callbacks in .Net 2.0 are certainly functional, but other frameworks
have their own merits and drawbacks.

You can use the callbacks baked into the framework for #2, but you
might find that you get on better with a third party framework, or
Atlas, which I haven't played with yet.

Most of the techno-trickery I get up to these days is based on
scriptaculous and AjaxPro - the successor to Michael Schwarz's
Ajax.Net, I'm not aware of a .Net framework based on Prototype, but I'm
notoriously unreliable.

Michel de Becdelièvre

"Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed). com...
> My latest project is in 2.0 and, although there are a lot of nifty new
> controls, I haven't seen anything that uses AJAX. Wish it did. Those
> constant postbacks are really annoying.
>
> Mark

LGPL : http://www.magicajax.net/ does the trick for me.

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

You don't need any additional frameworks to do those things, although a good
framework might be able to make it a little easier.

Here's the details on the built-in AJAX functionality in ASP.NET 2.0:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/Ajax.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP

"darrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Last week I asked about ASP.net 2.0 AJAX frameworks and there appears to
> be several to choose from.
>
> I haven't used ASP.net 2.0 yet, but from doing a bit of reading, it
> appears that ASP.net 2.0 also has some client side call-backs built in
> that can update the display via AJAX.
>
> To ask a more specific question, do I need a specific AJAX framework to do
> the following:
>
> 1) Drag-n-drop interface
> 2) Dynamic control diplay updates without a page load.
>
> #1 seems more of a javascript library task (like script.aculo.us and
> Prototype) so probably not a need for any .net AJAX framework.
>
> But what about #2? Is that something I should have a framwork for, or is
> that already built into .net 2.0?
>
> Tangental question...are any of the .net AJAX framworks using the
> Prototype javascript framwork?
>
> -Darrel

Flinky Wisty Pomm

That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
from subsequent callbacks?

My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.

Michel de Becdelièvre

"Flinky Wisty Pomm" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
(E-Mail Removed). com...
> That that magicajax is pretty swish - how well does the viewstate thing
> hold up? Can I populate a drop down and then access its SelectedValue
> from subsequent callbacks?
>
> My only problem with ajax.net is that it takes you out of the usual
> asp.net model, but i like the external js, and it's soooo simple to use.

Not yet tried with drop downs, but works fairly well with buttons and other
fields.

According to documentation it works with drop downs.

=?Utf-8?B?Tkg=?=

You should check out the Atlas Framework from Microsoft (see
http://atlas.asp.net)

Its at the CTP stage so its not a fully mature framework yet but its works
great. Its very easy to implement. Forget about MagixAjax.net, that is going
no where and you wont get any support from them, in fact I read that this
project is going to be discontinued now that Atlas is maturing quickly.

"Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" wrote:

> You don't need any additional frameworks to do those things, although a good
> framework might be able to make it a little easier.
>
> Here's the details on the built-in AJAX functionality in ASP.NET 2.0:
> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/Ajax.aspx
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> http://SteveOrr.net
>

> "darrel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Last week I asked about ASP.net 2.0 AJAX frameworks and there appears to
> > be several to choose from.
> >
> > I haven't used ASP.net 2.0 yet, but from doing a bit of reading, it
> > appears that ASP.net 2.0 also has some client side call-backs built in
> > that can update the display via AJAX.
> >
> > To ask a more specific question, do I need a specific AJAX framework to do
> > the following:
> >
> > 1) Drag-n-drop interface
> > 2) Dynamic control diplay updates without a page load.
> >
> > #1 seems more of a javascript library task (like script.aculo.us and
> > Prototype) so probably not a need for any .net AJAX framework.
> >
> > But what about #2? Is that something I should have a framwork for, or is
> > that already built into .net 2.0?
> >
> > Tangental question...are any of the .net AJAX framworks using the
> > Prototype javascript framwork?
> >
> > -Darrel

darrel

Thanks everyone. Looks like my biggest problem is 'too many choices' ;o)

-Darrel

=?Utf-8?B?YWpheHRvZGF5?=

I've written a very simple article of using Ajax in ASP.Net take a look at
http://www.ajaxtoday.com/ArticleDeta...5/Default.aspx

- Rafiq.