Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > aspnet_compiler - exclude files

aspnet_compiler - exclude files

CuriousGeorge

I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such as
schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to have to
remember to delete them from the deployment folder).

In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a part
of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the project-less
days of asp.net 2.0.

Am I missing something obvious here?

-Brett-

Bruce Barker

no. the aspnet_compiler.exe has no exclude feature. maybe the next release.
you could use a msbuild script that deleted them from the target dir. the
other approach (mine) is to have a dir layer above

/myproj
/deploy
/web
/docs
/unittests
/library

where /web is only the website sources.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"CuriousGeorge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OVTU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
> Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
> to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
> deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
> files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such
> as schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to
> have to remember to delete them from the deployment folder).
>
> In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
> projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a
> part of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the
> project-less days of asp.net 2.0.
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?
>
> -Brett-

intrader

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 14:47:54 -0800, CuriousGeorge wrote:

> I'm using aspnet_compiler to precompile my web app for deployment.
> Currently it copies all subfolders from the asp.net projects source folder
> to my destination folder. I have some files I do not want it to copy when
> deploying this app, is there any way to exclude them? I like to keep all
> files related to my projects within that projects folder hierarchy (such as
> schemas, documentation, etc), but I don't want them deployed, or to have to
> remember to delete them from the deployment folder).
>
> In the old asp.net 1.1 days we had project files like we do for C# or VB
> projects. With a project file it was easy to define which files are a part
> of the actual project. I don't see any way to do this in the project-less
> days of asp.net 2.0.
>
> Am I missing something obvious here?
>
> -Brett-

You may look in NAnt (a build tool). It may help you with this situation.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brett,

I think Bruce's suggestion is reasonable. Also, since ASP.NET 2.0 Web
application is projectless and just exist in the form of a normal directory
on the file system, we can use a custom batch/script file to copy the files
which want to deploy to a new directory, and then open the new directory in
VS 2005 ide as website and publish it.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Mark Rae

"CuriousGeorge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OVTU$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I don't see any way to do this in the project-less days of asp.net 2.0.

You're right - Microsoft, er, removed all that lovely functionality from
ASP.NET v2...

Luckily, pressure from developers actually worked for a change, and they are
currently in the final stages of delivering an add-in to VS.NET 2005 which
includes what you require, amd much more besides.

You can download the latest beta here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/re...structure/wdp/

Also, you should keep a regular eye on Scott Guthrie's blog:
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...06/429723.aspx
He's one of the main guys at Microsoft working on this project, and is
extremely helpful.

Web deployment in ASP.NET 2 was a real pain without this add-in, but now
it's even better than it was in v1.x

Mark Rae

"CuriousGeorge" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Ooh, this looks tempting. Thanks for the links Mark, this may be just
> what I need...

Once you've sorted out the ability to exclude files and/or folders from the
deployed code, you'll love the ability to replace entire sections of
web.config...

For me, the biggest advantage of this is to automatically replace my
database connection strings between DEV, UAT and live environments at the
flick of a switch!