Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Trying to get a simple webpage with SQL 2005 Express to work on my hosted site

Trying to get a simple webpage with SQL 2005 Express to work on my hosted site

Martin Randall

Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site. The hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site I get...

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Martin Randall

Wayne Wengert

Where is the SQL Server? Is it on a seperate site?
"Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site. The hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site I get...

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Ah - sorry. The Sql Server 2005 Express file is in the App_Data folder
"Wayne Wengert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
Where is the SQL Server? Is it on a seperate site?
"Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site. The hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site I get...

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Martin Randall

Kevin Spencer

Bad Connection string or a bad SQL Server configuration.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Show me your certification without works,
and I'll show my certification
*by* my works.

"Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi,

I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site. The
hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my
development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site I
get...

System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing
a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this
failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server
does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error:
26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Hmm... thought of those already. Any other ideas? Could it be that my
hosting company has badly configured SQL Express?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bad Connection string or a bad SQL Server configuration.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> Professional Numbskull
>
> Show me your certification without works,
> and I'll show my certification
> *by* my works.
>
> "Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site.
> The hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my
> development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site I
> get...
>
> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while
> establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server
> 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default
> settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
> Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on this?
>
> Martin Randall

Juan T. Llibre

Networking protocols are disabled by default in SQL Server Express.

If someone simply installs Express and chooses all the defaults, SQL Server Express will only
be able to have connections originating on the local machine where SQL Server is installed.

You need to expressly enable networking protocols.

Follow the instructions outlined at :

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/arc...05/415084.aspx
and
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...71795&SiteID=1

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm... thought of those already. Any other ideas? Could it be that my hosting company has badly
> configured SQL Express?

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Bad Connection string or a bad SQL Server configuration.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Professional Numbskull
>>

>> "Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site. The hosted site runs
>> ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my development machine, no problem... but when I
>> upload the published site I get...
>>
>> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the
>> server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under
>> the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network
>> Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on this?
>>
>> Martin Randall

Martin Randall

Hi - thanks for the pointer, but I'm not sure if that is relevent. Is it
something that my hosting company will have to sort out?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Networking protocols are disabled by default in SQL Server Express.
>
> If someone simply installs Express and chooses all the defaults, SQL
> Server Express will only
> be able to have connections originating on the local machine where SQL
> Server is installed.
>
> You need to expressly enable networking protocols.
>
> Follow the instructions outlined at :
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/arc...05/415084.aspx
> and
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...71795&SiteID=1
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hmm... thought of those already. Any other ideas? Could it be that my
>> hosting company has badly configured SQL Express?

>> "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Bad Connection string or a bad SQL Server configuration.
>>>
>>> --
>>> HTH,
>>>
>>> Kevin Spencer
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Professional Numbskull
>>>

>>> "Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get a simple dataview test page working on my hosted site.
>>> The hosted site runs ASP.Net 2.0, no problem. The test page works on my
>>> development machine, no problem... but when I upload the published site
>>> I get...
>>>
>>> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while
>>> establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server
>>> 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default
>>> settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL
>>> Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance
>>> Specified)
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on this?
>>>
>>> Martin Randall

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> I'm not sure if that is relevent.

Let me say it another way :

If the networking protocols are not enabled,
*nobody* can connect to SQL Server Expres from outside the bix SSE is running in.

Is that clearer now ?
Did you read the information in the links I provided for you ?

re:
> Is it something that my hosting company will have to sort out?

YEs. They have to enable SSE's networking protocols,
by following the instructions in the articles I sent you.

Request that they do that, and send them the article.
They might not be aware of what they have to do ( as apperently thay aren't ).

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi - thanks for the pointer, but I'm not sure if that is relevent. Is it something that my hosting
> company will have to sort out?
>
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Networking protocols are disabled by default in SQL Server Express.
>>
>> If someone simply installs Express and chooses all the defaults, SQL Server Express will only
>> be able to have connections originating on the local machine where SQL Server is installed.
>>
>> You need to expressly enable networking protocols.
>>
>> Follow the instructions outlined at :
>>
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/arc...05/415084.aspx
>> and
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...71795&SiteID=1
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> ===================================
>> "Martin Randall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hmm... thought of those already. Any other ideas? Could it be that my hosting company has badly
>>> configured SQL Express?

>>> "Kevin Spencer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

durayakar@gmail.com

No it is not clear...

Having a similar issue, let me re-state the question to be more clear
on my end...

I have developed and ASP.NET 2.0 Site in visual Studio 2005. I set up
the security, defined roles e.t.c.
I did not set-up any SQL server, including the SQL server Express on my
development box.
ASP.NET 2.0 created this MDF file in the APP_Data folder for me and
took care of the connection.
This default connection string is not even visible in the config file.

I did not do any settings AT ALL, including network protocols, SQL
server express settings whatsoever...

Then I PUBLISHed this site to my hosted server.

and I am getting this very same error

Isn't it supposed to work ?

My hosted site supports asp.net 2.0

Do I nned anything other than that?