Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Session variables lost

Session variables lost

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpaw==?=

I have an application that uses sessions variables a lot but one I publish
the application on the prod server these variables are lost. The application
is written i c# 2.0 and I've set the statServer timeout to 20 min in the the
web.config file. Any ideas why the variables are lost?

Juan T. Llibre

Are you using InProc for maintaining state ?

If you're using InProc, your session variables will be lost
any time your ASP.NET process recycles.

If you *are* using InProc, you might want to look into using
State Server of SQL Server for maintaining state.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an application that uses sessions variables a lot but one I publish
> the application on the prod server these variables are lost. The application
> is written i c# 2.0 and I've set the statServer timeout to 20 min in the the
> web.config file. Any ideas why the variables are lost?

=?Utf-8?B?RXJpaw==?=

Hi!
Yes I did use Inproc but now I'm using StateServer instead and it works
fine. I still don't know why the process recyles so often, I lost the
variables every 10 seconds.
/Erik

"Juan T. Llibre" wrote:

> Are you using InProc for maintaining state ?
>
> If you're using InProc, your session variables will be lost
> any time your ASP.NET process recycles.
>
> If you *are* using InProc, you might want to look into using
> State Server of SQL Server for maintaining state.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have an application that uses sessions variables a lot but one I publish
> > the application on the prod server these variables are lost. The application
> > is written i c# 2.0 and I've set the statServer timeout to 20 min in the the
> > web.config file. Any ideas why the variables are lost?

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> I'm using StateServer instead and it works fine.

Good !

re:
> I lost the variables every 10 seconds.

That points to a serious coding problem, if the ASP.NET
process is being recycled every 10 seconds.

Check the event viewer to see the reason for the quick recycling.

Also, check the Application Pool's recycle settings.

You may have very short number of requests,
time or max memory consumption settings.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
> Yes I did use Inproc but now I'm using StateServer instead and it works
> fine. I still don't know why the process recyles so often, I lost the
> variables every 10 seconds.
> /Erik
>
> "Juan T. Llibre" wrote:
>
>> Are you using InProc for maintaining state ?
>>
>> If you're using InProc, your session variables will be lost
>> any time your ASP.NET process recycles.
>>
>> If you *are* using InProc, you might want to look into using
>> State Server of SQL Server for maintaining state.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> ===================================
>> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I have an application that uses sessions variables a lot but one I publish
>> > the application on the prod server these variables are lost. The application
>> > is written i c# 2.0 and I've set the statServer timeout to 20 min in the the
>> > web.config file. Any ideas why the variables are lost?

Vasil Buraliev

Hi guys,
I have also problem with losing my session variables but in the following
scenario.

I'm developing a web site on IIS5.1 hosted on WinXP using ASP.NET 1.1 with
C# and everything is very cool.
When I deploy to test environment I can remark that my session variables are
lost after web application make call to a com component. Immediately after
this, I'm losing session variables.
Test environment is on Win2003 and IIS6.

Should I change way of storing my session variables and use Cache object
insted of Session or what!?

Best regards,
Vasko

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> I'm using StateServer instead and it works fine.

> Good !
>
> re:
>> I lost the variables every 10 seconds.

> That points to a serious coding problem, if the ASP.NET
> process is being recycled every 10 seconds.
>
> Check the event viewer to see the reason for the quick recycling.
>
> Also, check the Application Pool's recycle settings.
>
> You may have very short number of requests,
> time or max memory consumption settings.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi!
>> Yes I did use Inproc but now I'm using StateServer instead and it works
>> fine. I still don't know why the process recyles so often, I lost the
>> variables every 10 seconds.
>> /Erik
>>
>> "Juan T. Llibre" wrote:
>>
>>> Are you using InProc for maintaining state ?
>>>
>>> If you're using InProc, your session variables will be lost
>>> any time your ASP.NET process recycles.
>>>
>>> If you *are* using InProc, you might want to look into using
>>> State Server of SQL Server for maintaining state.
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>> aspnetfaq.com : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
>>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>> foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> ===================================
>>> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Alex D.

may be your call to the com component is making you web app to crash or
maybe the iis is the one whos crashing and restarting.

"Vasil Buraliev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi guys,
> I have also problem with losing my session variables but in the following
> scenario.
>
> I'm developing a web site on IIS5.1 hosted on WinXP using ASP.NET 1.1 with
> C# and everything is very cool.
> When I deploy to test environment I can remark that my session variables
> are lost after web application make call to a com component. Immediately
> after this, I'm losing session variables.
> Test environment is on Win2003 and IIS6.
>
> Should I change way of storing my session variables and use Cache object
> insted of Session or what!?
>
> Best regards,
> Vasko
>
> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>>> I'm using StateServer instead and it works fine.

>> Good !
>>
>> re:
>>> I lost the variables every 10 seconds.

>> That points to a serious coding problem, if the ASP.NET
>> process is being recycled every 10 seconds.
>>
>> Check the event viewer to see the reason for the quick recycling.
>>
>> Also, check the Application Pool's recycle settings.
>>
>> You may have very short number of requests,
>> time or max memory consumption settings.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> ===================================
>> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi!
>>> Yes I did use Inproc but now I'm using StateServer instead and it works
>>> fine. I still don't know why the process recyles so often, I lost the
>>> variables every 10 seconds.
>>> /Erik

Vasil Buraliev

Maybe,
I have log files that COM creates itself and I'm loging errors, warrning and
infos in web application. Can not see any error. But as u said something is
crasshin aspnet_wp.exe and my session variables are lost.
I changed way of storing session data from InProc to ServerProc and now I'm
not losing session data but... still have some other problems. I will try to
describe in more details just let me test it litle bit.

Thanx for answer.
Regards,
Vasko.

"Alex D." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> may be your call to the com component is making you web app to crash or
> maybe the iis is the one whos crashing and restarting.
>
> "Vasil Buraliev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi guys,
>> I have also problem with losing my session variables but in the following
>> scenario.
>>
>> I'm developing a web site on IIS5.1 hosted on WinXP using ASP.NET 1.1
>> with C# and everything is very cool.
>> When I deploy to test environment I can remark that my session variables
>> are lost after web application make call to a com component. Immediately
>> after this, I'm losing session variables.
>> Test environment is on Win2003 and IIS6.
>>
>> Should I change way of storing my session variables and use Cache object
>> insted of Session or what!?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Vasko
>>
>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> re:
>>>
>>> Good !
>>>
>>> re:
>>>
>>> That points to a serious coding problem, if the ASP.NET
>>> process is being recycled every 10 seconds.
>>>
>>> Check the event viewer to see the reason for the quick recycling.
>>>
>>> Also, check the Application Pool's recycle settings.
>>>
>>> You may have very short number of requests,
>>> time or max memory consumption settings.
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>> aspnetfaq.com : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
>>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>> foros de asp.net, en español : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> "Erik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Vasil Buraliev

I found an usfull article. I recomended to all that dealing with COM
components from ASP.NET.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ml/DBGch04.asp