Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Development Tools! Everyone!!

Development Tools! Everyone!!

Adam J Knight

Hi all,

Just a quick enquiry to all gurus out there. And the general developer
community out there..

At the moment my little toolkit for developing web applications consists of
:
1) Dreamweaver
2) Visual Studio 2003
3) SQL Server 2000
4) MySql

Unfortunately i don't get a lot of exposure to other developers through my
work, so collaberative learning and sharing is minimal.

Just wondering what everyone elses tool kits look like.

Including tools to enhance:
1) Productivity
2) Quality
3) Version Control\
4) Speed of development
5) Efficiency
6) Professionalism
7) Testing
Reliability
9) Scalability ect..

As of late i have come accross Red Gates SQL Compare & Data Compare which is
useful.
I have also heard faint wispers of tools like Code Smith & Subversion???

What is my tool kit missing, for serious development?

Are there any developer websites that should be in my library???

Cheers,
Adam

Karl Seguin [MVP]

resharper or CodeRush for visual studio 2003/5

Almost all tools by Red-Gate (red-gate.com) especially if you need a
profiler or better SQL tools

SourceGear for version control and bug tracking

reflector and snipet compiler for saving yourself headaches and asking fewer
questions here

Karl
--
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Adam J Knight" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick enquiry to all gurus out there. And the general developer
> community out there..
>
> At the moment my little toolkit for developing web applications consists
> of :
> 1) Dreamweaver
> 2) Visual Studio 2003
> 3) SQL Server 2000
> 4) MySql
>
> Unfortunately i don't get a lot of exposure to other developers through my
> work, so collaberative learning and sharing is minimal.
>
> Just wondering what everyone elses tool kits look like.
>
> Including tools to enhance:
> 1) Productivity
> 2) Quality
> 3) Version Control\
> 4) Speed of development
> 5) Efficiency
> 6) Professionalism
> 7) Testing
> Reliability
> 9) Scalability ect..
>
> As of late i have come accross Red Gates SQL Compare & Data Compare which
> is useful.
> I have also heard faint wispers of tools like Code Smith & Subversion???
>
> What is my tool kit missing, for serious development?
>
> Are there any developer websites that should be in my library???
>
> Cheers,
> Adam

=?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=

My Tools
Notepad, gifworks, paint, photomorph, Visual Studio 2005 Standard, Visual
Studio 2003 Professional, Visual Studio 6.0 Professional scripting edition
Interdev javascript editor, SQL Server 2000, SQL Server 2005, SQL Server
Management Studio, perfmon, sysmon, IIS Manager, xmlspy

I use snippets for comments and have a class that contains shared methods,
functions, etc. Almost everything I find usefull in a snippet goes into this
class. Saw first hand the maintenence nightmares copying code did to large
COBOL environments.

DWS