Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > File Manager Application With Custom File Access

File Manager Application With Custom File Access

wdweb

Hello, Thanks in advance for any tips.

I am building a file management application which will allow file
markup/sharing across the internet for all ms office, adobe pdf,
photographs and other document formats. The docs will be marked up
with add-in components that are not built yet.

I have decided to start with building on a file permissions module. I
understand changing FileAttributes with IO.File.SetAttributes
methods(i.e. user sets file to read-only), but that does not address
file permission for multiple users.

The application will be used on a subdomain basis with a potential of
thousands of companies, each with its own set of groups, users,
documents and permissions. I did not want to build an application that
uses the Windows Authentication Model, because then each user would
need a windows account on
our server. I plan on using custom group and user authentication in my
Relation DB to define permissions on a group and user basis, but I don't
know how to apply my custom rules to each file.

I am using SQL Server 2005, ASP.NET 2.0 and Visual Web Developer
Express to build this application. Any starting point as to what to
use for file permissions would be very, very appreciated.

Thanks again,
JD

--
wdweb