Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox CPU usage

Firefox CPU usage

Tom Del Rosso

Firefox uses too much CPU time when a large number of tabs (~20) are open.
Is there an option that would prevent further processing on pages that are
already loaded, whether it's meta-refresh or whatever operation is being
done continually on those pages?

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add
2 more zeros and remove the obvious.

Ed Mullen

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> Firefox uses too much CPU time when a large number of tabs (~20) are open.
> Is there an option that would prevent further processing on pages that are
> already loaded, whether it's meta-refresh or whatever operation is being
> done continually on those pages?

Those tabs will require memory even if they have no dynamic content.
With any application you will at some point run out of memory for
opening new documents whether in a separate window or a tab.

Dynamic content that would use even more memory could include Flash,
Java, javascript, auto-refresh, etc. There are some extensions that
give you control over such things. You might want to investigate
Preferences Toolbar to start.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Tom Del Rosso wrote:
>
>> Firefox uses too much CPU time when a large number of tabs (~20) are
>> open.
>> Is there an option that would prevent further processing on pages that
>> are
>> already loaded, whether it's meta-refresh or whatever operation is being
>> done continually on those pages?
>>

> Those tabs will require memory even if they have no dynamic content.
> With any application you will at some point run out of memory for
> opening new documents whether in a separate window or a tab.
>
> Dynamic content that would use even more memory could include Flash,
> Java, javascript, auto-refresh, etc. There are some extensions that
> give you control over such things. You might want to investigate
> Preferences Toolbar to start.

Another point is what constitutes "too much CPU time". I have FF
running now with 30 tabs open. This includes: 6 pages with embedded
Flash objects (clocks, see: http://edmullen.net/fclock.html) that
constantly update. FF is using approximately 97 Mb of RAM and
approximately 87 Mb of VM.

I also have 6 other applications/windows running including Mozilla mail
and its browser with 21 tabs all open to that dynamic Flash page. Moz
is using about 100 Mb of RAM. All this could be a real problem for some
systems but it's not on my spiffy new 3 GHz system with 2 Gb of RAM.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net