Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Object reference not set

Object reference not set

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBK?=

I have a real stumper. I added a server side table to a home page that has
two other server side tables on it that have been working great. In Visual
Studio everything works great. When I put the page on the production server,
the first time in the page works great. If I navigate to any other page on
the site and then try to return to the home page the control I added throws
the following:

Server Error in '/' Application.

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

object.]
MAFE.home.LoadBWOM()
MAFE.home.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

If I comment out the line of code where I store a row in the new table, all
works just fine. Anyone have any ideas?

--
Charlie Jursch
Patotech Software, Inc.

Karl Seguin [MVP]

can you show us the line of code that you comment out to make it work, and
all relevant lines of code? Clearly something's null. It's easy to debug if
you step through it and add a breakpoint on that line...

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/
http://www.fuelindustries.com/

"Charlie J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a real stumper. I added a server side table to a home page that has
> two other server side tables on it that have been working great. In
> Visual
> Studio everything works great. When I put the page on the production
> server,
> the first time in the page works great. If I navigate to any other page
> on
> the site and then try to return to the home page the control I added
> throws
> the following:
>
> Server Error in '/' Application.

> about
>
> Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
> to an instance of an object.
>
> Source Error:

> web
> request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception
> can
>
> Stack Trace:
>

> [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
> object.]
> MAFE.home.LoadBWOM()
> MAFE.home.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
>
> If I comment out the line of code where I store a row in the new table,
> all
> works just fine. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
> Charlie Jursch
> Patotech Software, Inc.
> Danville, CA

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Charlie, you may wish to read the reply I made to your original post - I
crossposted it to this group so it still has the original subject: "Re:
ASP.NET Problem with return to home page".
The conversation about this topic should, of course, continue in this
thread. I just wanted to draw your attention to what I said.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBK?=

Here is the line of code:

tdBWOM.InnerHtml = sb1.ToString();

In an attempt to isolate what is happening, I changed the html file to use a
html table instead of an asp:Table. I get the same result.

I cannot get this to fail on my test system, only on the production server.
When the page first displays, the text I put in the cell displays perfectly.
There is no error. Only when I navigate to another page on the site and then
navigate back to this page do I get the error. If you want to see the aspx
page after it is generated, go to www.mafe.org. It is the home page for the
site (default.aspx) that I am having the problem with. I currently have the
line of code above commented out in the code behind file.
--
Charlie Jursch
Patotech Software, Inc.

"Karl Seguin [MVP]" wrote:

> can you show us the line of code that you comment out to make it work, and
> all relevant lines of code? Clearly something's null. It's easy to debug if
> you step through it and add a breakpoint on that line...
>
> Karl
>
> --
> http://www.openmymind.net/
> http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>

> "Charlie J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have a real stumper. I added a server side table to a home page that has
> > two other server side tables on it that have been working great. In
> > Visual
> > Studio everything works great. When I put the page on the production
> > server,
> > the first time in the page works great. If I navigate to any other page
> > on
> > the site and then try to return to the home page the control I added
> > throws
> > the following:
> >
> > Server Error in '/' Application.
> >
> > Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
> > current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information
> > about
> > the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set
> > to an instance of an object.
> >
> > Source Error:
> >
> > An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current
> > web
> > request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception
> > can
> > be identified using the exception stack trace below.
> >
> > Stack Trace:
> >

> > [NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an
> > object.]
> > MAFE.home.LoadBWOM()
> > MAFE.home.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
> > System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67
> > System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35
> > System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +761
> >
> > If I comment out the line of code where I store a row in the new table,
> > all
> > works just fine. Anyone have any ideas?
> >
> > --
> > Charlie Jursch
> > Patotech Software, Inc.
> > Danville, CA

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBK?=

Bob,

Thanks for your input. I have updated the web.config accordingly.
--
Charlie Jursch
Patotech Software, Inc.

"Bob Barrows [MVP]" wrote:

> Charlie, you may wish to read the reply I made to your original post - I
> crossposted it to this group so it still has the original subject: "Re:
> ASP.NET Problem with return to home page".
> The conversation about this topic should, of course, continue in this
> thread. I just wanted to draw your attention to what I said.
>
> Bob Barrows
>
> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You still have not shown enough code to enable us to see what's happening.
All I can say is that you should determine which object it is complaining
about: tdBWOM or sb1. Insert some code to verify that both of these
variables are set to the appropriate objects.
You should do this before posting more code.

Bob Barrows

--------

--
Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Karl Seguin [MVP]

agreed.

If that's the line, it's clear that either sb is null or tdBWOM is null.

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/
http://www.fuelindustries.com/

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You still have not shown enough code to enable us to see what's happening.
> All I can say is that you should determine which object it is complaining
> about: tdBWOM or sb1. Insert some code to verify that both of these
> variables are set to the appropriate objects.
> You should do this before posting more code.
>
> Bob Barrows
> Charlie J wrote:
>> Here is the line of code:
>>
>> tdBWOM.InnerHtml = sb1.ToString();
>>
>> In an attempt to isolate what is happening, I changed the html file
>> to use a html table instead of an asp:Table. I get the same result.
>>
>> I cannot get this to fail on my test system, only on the production
>> server. When the page first displays, the text I put in the cell
>> displays perfectly. There is no error. Only when I navigate to
>> another page on the site and then navigate back to this page do I get
>> the error. If you want to see the aspx page after it is generated,
>> go to www.mafe.org. It is the home page for the site (default.aspx)
>> that I am having the problem with. I currently have the line of code
>> above commented out in the code behind file. --
>> Charlie Jursch
>> Patotech Software, Inc.
>> Danville, CA
>>

>> "Karl Seguin [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> can you show us the line of code that you comment out to make it
>>> work, and all relevant lines of code? Clearly something's null.
>>> It's easy to debug if you step through it and add a breakpoint on
>>> that line...
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.openmymind.net/
>>> http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>>>

>>> "Charlie J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> --------

> --
> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Bob Barrows [MVP]

.... which leaves unanswered the question of why one of them is null, which
can best be answered by stepping through the code (not recommended in a
production environment, but a duplicate app could be created for testing, I
suppose). If stepping is not an option, then you have to manually backtrace
the lines of code leading up to this line and see if you can identify the
failure to instantiate the object.

Karl Seguin [MVP] wrote:
> agreed.
>
> If that's the line, it's clear that either sb is null or tdBWOM is
> null.
>
> Karl
>
> --
> http://www.openmymind.net/
> http://www.fuelindustries.com/
>

> "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You still have not shown enough code to enable us to see what's
>> happening. All I can say is that you should determine which object
>> it is complaining about: tdBWOM or sb1. Insert some code to verify
>> that both of these variables are set to the appropriate objects.
>> You should do this before posting more code.
>>
>> Bob Barrows
>> Charlie J wrote:
>>> Here is the line of code:
>>>
>>> tdBWOM.InnerHtml = sb1.ToString();
>>>
>>> In an attempt to isolate what is happening, I changed the html file
>>> to use a html table instead of an asp:Table. I get the same result.
>>>
>>> I cannot get this to fail on my test system, only on the production
>>> server. When the page first displays, the text I put in the cell
>>> displays perfectly. There is no error. Only when I navigate to
>>> another page on the site and then navigate back to this page do I
>>> get the error. If you want to see the aspx page after it is
>>> generated, go to www.mafe.org. It is the home page for the site
>>> (default.aspx) that I am having the problem with. I currently have
>>> the line of code above commented out in the code behind file. --
>>> Charlie Jursch
>>> Patotech Software, Inc.
>>> Danville, CA

>> --
>> Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZSBK?=

I resolved this issue by upgrading the application to APS.NET 2.0. This all
started to happen right after I had installed 2.0 on the servers. I cannot
explain why it was happening, only that after I converted the application to
2.0 everything started to work normally.

Thanks for your assistance.
--
Charlie Jursch
Patotech Software, Inc.