Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Please help: Quicktime player 7.0 playing mp3 files

Please help: Quicktime player 7.0 playing mp3 files

vincor

I have a little website where I keep mp3 files ...

My mozilla was always set up to ask whether to save or open these
files. I installed the new iTunes and Quicktime 7.0 ... now when I
click on a mp3 file it autmatically brings up Quicktime to play it.

I can't find (and I've been looking) where to set it back so I can
have the "save or open" option.

I checked DOWNLOADS/ Plug-ins in Options and don't see anything the
show an mp3 file association with QT.

can anyone please help

vincor

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 12:27:37 -0500, vincor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a little website where I keep mp3 files ...
>
>My mozilla was always set up to ask whether to save or open these
>files. I installed the new iTunes and Quicktime 7.0 ... now when I
>click on a mp3 file it autmatically brings up Quicktime to play it.
>
>I can't find (and I've been looking) where to set it back so I can
>have the "save or open" option.
>
>I checked DOWNLOADS/ Plug-ins in Options and don't see anything the
>show an mp3 file association with QT.
>
>can anyone please help

PS I also checked the MIME settings ... I have no associations for
AUDIO

Leonidas Jones

vincor wrote:
> I have a little website where I keep mp3 files ...
>
> My mozilla was always set up to ask whether to save or open these
> files. I installed the new iTunes and Quicktime 7.0 ... now when I
> click on a mp3 file it autmatically brings up Quicktime to play it.
>
> I can't find (and I've been looking) where to set it back so I can
> have the "save or open" option.
>
> I checked DOWNLOADS/ Plug-ins in Options and don't see anything the
> show an mp3 file association with QT.
>
> can anyone please help

You can right click and choose save link as, or save l,link target as,
depending on whether you use Firefox or the Mozilla Suite. Since you
mention Options, you probably mean Firefox on Windows.

If you just don't want QT playing MP3's at all, you need to set the file
types in QT:

Start>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Quick Time

Click the File Types tab, expand the Audio tree, and uncheck any file
types you do not want associated with QT.

Lee

vincor

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:24:59 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>vincor wrote:
>> I have a little website where I keep mp3 files ...
>>
>> My mozilla was always set up to ask whether to save or open these
>> files. I installed the new iTunes and Quicktime 7.0 ... now when I
>> click on a mp3 file it autmatically brings up Quicktime to play it.
>>
>> I can't find (and I've been looking) where to set it back so I can
>> have the "save or open" option.
>>
>> I checked DOWNLOADS/ Plug-ins in Options and don't see anything the
>> show an mp3 file association with QT.
>>
>> can anyone please help

>You can right click and choose save link as, or save l,link target as,
>depending on whether you use Firefox or the Mozilla Suite. Since you
>mention Options, you probably mean Firefox on Windows.
>
>If you just don't want QT playing MP3's at all, you need to set the file
>types in QT:
>
>Start>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Quick Time
>
>Click the File Types tab, expand the Audio tree, and uncheck any file
>types you do not want associated with QT.
>
>Lee

Lee thanks for the response ... I checked the Control Panel and I have
everything audio related unchecked. I just don't get it.

eizev

I've been searching in vain for ananswer to your problem, everyone
writes the same suggestions,check the prefs, etc -- but I, like you am
not a complete idiot and changed all the prefs before posting and it
still clings to the embedding and won't prompt or ask me if Iwant to
download nor does it allow me to change the prefs on this.

If you do about:config in the address bar, you can clearly see that
it's associated with mpeg and mpeg streaming even though you chose
otherwise in the prefs.

I guess apple is used to everyone using whatever itputs out there and
can't adapt to the windows paradigm of the user actually choosing how
your computer deals with file types...

if you hear of anything, please post..

~eizev

vincor wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:24:59 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >vincor wrote:
> >> I have a little website where I keep mp3 files ...
> >>
> >> My mozilla was always set up to ask whether to save or open these
> >> files. I installed the new iTunes and Quicktime 7.0 ... now when I
> >> click on a mp3 file it autmatically brings up Quicktime to play it.
> >>
> >> I can't find (and I've been looking) where to set it back so I can
> >> have the "save or open" option.
> >>
> >> I checked DOWNLOADS/ Plug-ins in Options and don't see anything the
> >> show an mp3 file association with QT.
> >>
> >> can anyone please help

> >You can right click and choose save link as, or save l,link target as,
> >depending on whether you use Firefox or the Mozilla Suite. Since you
> >mention Options, you probably mean Firefox on Windows.
> >
> >If you just don't want QT playing MP3's at all, you need to set the file
> >types in QT:
> >
> >Start>>Settings>>Control Panel>>Quick Time
> >
> >Click the File Types tab, expand the Audio tree, and uncheck any file
> >types you do not want associated with QT.
> >
> >Lee

> Lee thanks for the response ... I checked the Control Panel and I have
> everything audio related unchecked. I just don't get it.

eizev

ahh, I found it, not exactly what I wanted, but at least I'm not being
held hostage by QT anymore; this fix will let you keep QT installed but
will no longer stream mp3's in the browser...

Tools -> Options -> Downloads -> Plug-Ins... -> then find the mp3
extension
and uncheck the checkmark. After that, Firefox should ask you if you
want
to download when you click on the file.

It would be nice if Icould choose to stream it in the browser but oh
well...

Scott Nelson

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I was trying to figure this out also.

Scott

--
Stop by and visit me on the Web...

http://www.treasuredude.net.tc
or
http://pie.midco.net/treasuredude

"I haven't slept for 10 days, because that would be too long." -- Mitch
Hedberg

guest77 guest77 is offline
Junior Member

Tools -> Options -> Content -> File Types (Manage)

and then go to MP3 and hit 'Remove Action'.

However, I don't know if Quicktime will reverse the whole thing again. In any case, Quicktime really ****es me off in this regard, because when you tell the stupid programm not to mess with MP3s, you expect it to actually do what you tell it to do.

Anyway, thanks to this thread, I finally solved that problem