Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > client-side cache vs server-side cache vs ajax vs asp.net callback

client-side cache vs server-side cache vs ajax vs asp.net callback

=?Utf-8?B?b25l?=

Hi,

I just went into a debate with my colleague regarding these technologies. I
think they are not the same:

At a high-level...
Client-side caching is to do with temporary internet file and the 'check for
newer verions of stored pages' setting in Internet Explorer
Server-side caching is to do with asp.net and IIS. It instructs how IIS
should fetch pages (e.g. depend on parameters, by time)
ajax, which I am still learning, is a combination of technologies e.g.
dhtml, xml, javascript. It only do a 'http get', using javascript, of the
relevant part of a page.
callbacks also uses javascript but 'http post' the whole page, similar to
the traditional "post back"?

Could someone please verified...

Thanks

Karl Seguin [MVP]

all ur assessments are pretty accurate. There are many different
implementations of ajax though. AJAX.NET does what you describe, while
MagicAjax and Atlas sorta sit between a pull page submit and a quick hit...

Karl

--
http://www.openmymind.net/

"one" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I just went into a debate with my colleague regarding these technologies.
> think they are not the same:
>
> At a high-level...
> Client-side caching is to do with temporary internet file and the 'check
> for
> newer verions of stored pages' setting in Internet Explorer
> Server-side caching is to do with asp.net and IIS. It instructs how IIS
> should fetch pages (e.g. depend on parameters, by time)
> ajax, which I am still learning, is a combination of technologies e.g.
> dhtml, xml, javascript. It only do a 'http get', using javascript, of the
> relevant part of a page.
> callbacks also uses javascript but 'http post' the whole page, similar to
> the traditional "post back"?
>
> Could someone please verified...
>
> Thanks

Javascript w/My AJAX Callback - Why Doesn't This Work Correctly? Joey ASP .Net 1 11-01-2007 05:30 PM
Ajax error: there was an error in the callback.376 marco ASP .Net 4 03-26-2007 05:30 PM
AJAX.NET Callback Varangian ASP .Net 9 05-06-2006 09:57 PM
Maintain view state using AJAX or Callback Varangian ASP .Net 2 03-17-2006 12:26 AM

Advertisments