Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How to display inline text in the same page

How to display inline text in the same page

Felix_WafyTech

Hi,

I would like to create something similar to "The Code Project" message
thread. You can see what I'm trying to explain by clicking on the link
below:

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/Ma...forumid=254259

Once the page opens, scroll down to the end of page. You will see message
threads just like newsgroup threads. You can click on any of the Subject
links and the Message is displayed just beneath it in the same page. How do
I do something similar in ASP .NET C#? Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Felix.J

Darren Kopp

Check out this link from 4guysfromrolla. It's not exactly what they
do, but it will give you an idea. With code project, when you click a
link, it opens that part, and closes the currently opened one. This
article's code won't do that, so you would have to figure that out
yourself, but then again, sometimes it's nice to be able to have a few
open .

HTH,
Darren Kopp
http://blog.secudocs.com/

Felix_WafyTech

I've seen it already but it doesn't seem to provide the kind of knowlegde I
need to replicate the functionality exposed by the message threads of "The
code project".

May be I should explain more:

I have a GridView control and on clicking any of the records in the grid
view control I would like the grid to expand and display data in a detail
section. The data should be retrieved from the database on the server.
Clicking on the record again should collapse the view.

Please share any ideas, links to articles or code snippets. I would really
appreciate code snippets, I'm curious as to how this is done. I've been
looking all around but unable to find information on this.

Thanks,
Felix.J

"Darren Kopp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Check out this link from 4guysfromrolla. It's not exactly what they
> do, but it will give you an idea. With code project, when you click a
> link, it opens that part, and closes the currently opened one. This
> article's code won't do that, so you would have to figure that out
> yourself, but then again, sometimes it's nice to be able to have a few
> open .

> HTH,
> Darren Kopp
> http://blog.secudocs.com/

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Felix,

I think for the codeproject like thread layout, in ASP.NET it'll be proper
to use template databound controls (like datalist, gridview, repeater) to
display those top level items. For the item's content, we can use the html
"display" style to make them hidden by default, and when the user click the
subject text, we can use clientside script to make the content visible.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Tool which expands implicitly inline inline functions tthunder@gmx.de C++ 3 06-16-2005 12:54 AM
To inline or not to inline? Alvin C++ 7 05-06-2005 03:04 PM
Function delcared inline but not defined inline Nish C Programming 4 10-08-2004 03:31 PM
External inline functions calling internal inline functions Daniel Vallstrom C Programming 2 11-21-2003 01:57 PM
inline or not to inline in C++ Abhi C++ 2 07-03-2003 12:07 AM

Advertisments