Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Java Problem

Java Problem

Nigel Stapley

(I posted this in the relevant MozillaZine forum over a week ago, but
only had one reply which suggested I clear the Java cache and reduce the
cache size; both of which I'd already done. So I wonder if someone here
has any advice)

I have a recurring issue whenever Moz (1.7.12) loads any page which has
a Java text scroller on it (an example is, ironically enough, one of my
own home pages - www.thejudge.me.uk ).

When it goes to load, the HDD starts to thrash quite a bit, and the
browser window flickers once, twice or more. Sometimes the browser
window will just show white with the header (the coloured bit at the top
of the window) and a blank status bar for some seconds. Then the page
will load, but the scroller will jump about before finally showing in
its proper location.

(I emphasise again that it's not just my site this happens on, and it
may not just be with pages with text scrollers - other applets seem to
have a similar effect. Also, it tends to happen earlier in a browser
session rather than later, although that might just be because of lack
of cached info early on).

In the plugins list, I have two sets of Java plugins:

One set is "Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0" with the following
files: NPJava11.dll, NPJava12.dll, NPJava13.dll, NPJava14.dll,
NPJava32.dll, NPJPI150.dll and NPOJI610.dll

These files are in the C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\plugins folder.

Then I also have the equivalent files in "Java 2 Platform Standard
Edition 5.0 Update 4". However, these files are in the C:\Program
Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins folder.

Is this what might be causing the problem, or is it something else? If
it is the duplicates (or, I suppose, the earlier versions), is it safe
to delete them?

If this isn't the cause, what do you think it might be? I've had this
problem for some months, before the Java Update 4.

TIA
--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

gwtc

Nigel Stapley wrote:

> (I posted this in the relevant MozillaZine forum over a week ago, but
> only had one reply which suggested I clear the Java cache and reduce the
> cache size; both of which I'd already done. So I wonder if someone here
> has any advice)
>
> I have a recurring issue whenever Moz (1.7.12) loads any page which has
> a Java text scroller on it (an example is, ironically enough, one of my
> own home pages - www.thejudge.me.uk ).
>
> When it goes to load, the HDD starts to thrash quite a bit, and the
> browser window flickers once, twice or more. Sometimes the browser
> window will just show white with the header (the coloured bit at the top
> of the window) and a blank status bar for some seconds. Then the page
> will load, but the scroller will jump about before finally showing in
> its proper location.
>
> (I emphasise again that it's not just my site this happens on, and it
> may not just be with pages with text scrollers - other applets seem to
> have a similar effect. Also, it tends to happen earlier in a browser
> session rather than later, although that might just be because of lack
> of cached info early on).
>
> In the plugins list, I have two sets of Java plugins:
>
> One set is "Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0" with the following
> files: NPJava11.dll, NPJava12.dll, NPJava13.dll, NPJava14.dll,
> NPJava32.dll, NPJPI150.dll and NPOJI610.dll
>
> These files are in the C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\plugins folder.
>
> Then I also have the equivalent files in "Java 2 Platform Standard
> Edition 5.0 Update 4". However, these files are in the C:\Program
> Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\plugins folder.
>
> Is this what might be causing the problem, or is it something else? If
> it is the duplicates (or, I suppose, the earlier versions), is it safe
> to delete them?
>
> If this isn't the cause, what do you think it might be? I've had this
> problem for some months, before the Java Update 4.
>
> TIA

I had no problems with Moz 1.7.12 or FF 1.0.7, with Java 1.5.0_04.
What you're java plugins are doing in the Application Data area I have
no idea. Close Moz/FF. Open the Control Panel and open the
Add/Remove Programs application. Scroll on down until you find Java.
How many is listed. If you have lots, then remove the old ones.
You might as well as remove the current one also. Then using your
file manager, manually remove any and all java files you find anywhere
else. Remove the directories of:

c:\program files\java
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\*

Open up the Registry {Start, Run, and enter regedit.exe] and locate
the following areas:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\JavaSoft

and delete them. Reboot, then reinstall the current java. After all
that try it out and see what happens. Then report back.

Nigel Stapley

gwtc wrote:

> I had no problems with Moz 1.7.12 or FF 1.0.7, with Java 1.5.0_04. What
> you're java plugins are doing in the Application Data area I have no
> idea. Close Moz/FF. Open the Control Panel and open the Add/Remove
> Programs application. Scroll on down until you find Java. How many is
> listed. If you have lots, then remove the old ones. You might as well
> as remove the current one also. Then using your file manager, manually
> remove any and all java files you find anywhere else. Remove the
> directories of:
>
> c:\program files\java
> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\*
>
> Open up the Registry {Start, Run, and enter regedit.exe] and locate the
> following areas:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\JavaSoft
> HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\JavaSoft
>
> and delete them. Reboot, then reinstall the current java. After all
> that try it out and see what happens. Then report back.

Seems I had 1.5.0 and Update 4, so I got rid of them both, deleted the
directories, rebooted (forgetting about the registry entries). *Then*
remembered the registry entries and deleted them.

I then downloaded and installed Update *5*.

There's still a bit of flickering when I open a page with an applet on
it, but nowhere near as bad, and the page loads a lot quicker now too.
I'll monitor this for a bit.

Many thanks for the help.
--
Regards