Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > BLOCKING AN EMAIL ADDRESS

BLOCKING AN EMAIL ADDRESS

Pastor Dave

Hi,

I have Thunderbird 1.06.

Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
what to do to create a proper filter for this and
when I searched the help, I came up empty.

Thanks!

--

Pastor Dave
1st Century Church of Christ

"Be strong all people of the land. Do not fear."
"If you will not believe, surely you will not be
established." - Jehovah

gwtc

Pastor Dave wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have Thunderbird 1.06.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
> address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
> what to do to create a proper filter for this and
> when I searched the help, I came up empty.
>
> Thanks!

There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

Pastor Dave

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake
thusly:

>Pastor Dave wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Thunderbird 1.06.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
>> address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
>> what to do to create a proper filter for this and
>> when I searched the help, I came up empty.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
>want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
>it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
>the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
>whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
>in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.

I tried it on one of the received messages from this
person and on their entry in my address book.

--

Pastor Dave wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake
> thusly:
>

>>Pastor Dave wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I have Thunderbird 1.06.
>>>
>>>Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
>>>address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
>>>what to do to create a proper filter for this and
>>>when I searched the help, I came up empty.
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>

>>There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
>>want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
>>it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
>>the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
>>whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
>>in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

> I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
>
> I tried it on one of the received messages from this
> person and on their entry in my address book.

Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

vernon

Pastor Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Thunderbird 1.06.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to block a specific email
> address? I saw the filters, but I don't know exactly
> what to do to create a proper filter for this and
> when I searched the help, I came up empty.
>
> Thanks!

with the message highlighted, Go to the top of the page (toolbar), click
on Messages, go to create filter from message.

Pastor Dave

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
<(E-Mail Removed)> spake
thusly:

>Pastor Dave wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake
>> thusly:

>>>There's not much to creating a filter. On the email address you don't
>>>want, do a right click and select "Create filter from message." When
>>>it comes up, select the settings you want down below. You can have
>>>the messages deleted, removed from server, mark it as read, or
>>>whatever you want. When you've set it, click on OK. If there are any
>>>in the inbox, you can then run the filter.

>> I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
>>
>> I tried it on one of the received messages from this
>> person and on their entry in my address book.
>>

>Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
>just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
message back to the sender, so that they know that
their messages are being bounced?

--

Pastor Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake
> thusly:
>

>>Pastor Dave wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
>>><(E-Mail Removed) p> spake
>>>thusly:

>>>I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
>>>
>>>I tried it on one of the received messages from this
>>>person and on their entry in my address book.
>>>

>>Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
>>just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
> message back to the sender, so that they know that
> their messages are being bounced?

The program is called Mailwasher.

Liora

Pastor Dave wrote:

> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
> message back to the sender, so that they know that
> their messages are being bounced?

As vernon said, Mailwasher. The free version works great with
Thunderbird. Would love it if Tbird included something like this,
though. I don't really like the two-program method, but the ability to
bounce makes it worth it.

Liora

vernon

Liora wrote:
> Pastor Dave wrote:
>
>> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
>> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
>> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
>> message back to the sender, so that they know that
>> their messages are being bounced?
>>

> As vernon said, Mailwasher. The free version works great with
> Thunderbird. Would love it if Tbird included something like this,
> though. I don't really like the two-program method, but the ability to
> bounce makes it worth it.
>
> Liora

Yes, I keep wishing there was an all in one.
The other advantage of Mailwasher is the text only load so there is no
easy way to get any viruses. Loads are quick, because no graphic is
loaded. E-mails can be viewed without downloading them.

dillinger

Pastor Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:37:26 -0700, gwtc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spake
> thusly:
>

>>Pastor Dave wrote:
>>

>>>On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 16:12:57 -0700, gwtc
>>><(E-Mail Removed) p> spake
>>>thusly:

>>>I don't have any such entry on the right click menu.
>>>
>>>I tried it on one of the received messages from this
>>>person and on their entry in my address book.
>>>

>>Then what do you have on the right click? Well, whatever then, then
>>just copy the email address, select Filters, and create one.

> So in other words, copy the email address into a newly
> created filter, as the title of the filter and that's
> it? Is there also a way to have the server bounce a
> message back to the sender, so that they know that
> their messages are being bounced?

Bouncing spam and/or viruses is probably amongst the most stupid things
you can do.

Please check:
http://www.city-fan.org/mailwasher-bounce-bad.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/2_bo...2_bounce.shtml