Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Barnes & Noble Removing All Microsoft Related Magazines From Shelves

Barnes & Noble Removing All Microsoft Related Magazines From Shelves

clintonG

The Barnes & Noble stores in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin have removed or
are removing all of the Microsoft platform programming and support magazines
from their shelves. Not one single magazine related to any Microsoft
operating system, any programming language and framework or any application
remains on the shelves.

All of the Linux and Mac magazines remain of course.

Store clerks say "the buyer" made the decision and offered no other
explanation.

I'm sending a nasty note to Barnes & Noble [1]

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com

[1] http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Juan T. Llibre

They have them, nationally, online :

http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/bro...aid=1000005054

Are you sure this is not a misunderstanding ?

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Barnes & Noble stores in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin have removed or are removing all of
> the Microsoft platform programming and support magazines from their shelves. Not one single
> magazine related to any Microsoft operating system, any programming language and framework or any
> application remains on the shelves.
>
> All of the Linux and Mac magazines remain of course.
>
> Store clerks say "the buyer" made the decision and offered no other explanation.
>
> I'm sending a nasty note to Barnes & Noble [1]
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
>
> [1] http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

clintonG

How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am NOT
seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and magazines. I
even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the buyers decided
to remove the magazines.

The Brookfield, Wisconsin store has removed ALL magazines relating to
Microsoft technologies. The other Barnes & Noble store I also go into at
Mayfair in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin has lso cut back big time -- Microsoft
genre -- or has also removed ALL Microsoft magazines as well. I have to
check to see if the Mayfair store has taken the final plunge and removed ALL
magazines related to the Microsoft genre. According to the clerk in the
Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the magazines
related to the Microsoft genre.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> They have them, nationally, online :
>
> http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/bro...aid=1000005054
>
> Are you sure this is not a misunderstanding ?
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The Barnes & Noble stores in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin have removed
>> or are removing all of the Microsoft platform programming and support
>> magazines from their shelves. Not one single magazine related to any
>> Microsoft operating system, any programming language and framework or any
>> application remains on the shelves.
>>
>> All of the Linux and Mac magazines remain of course.
>>
>> Store clerks say "the buyer" made the decision and offered no other
>> explanation.
>>
>> I'm sending a nasty note to Barnes & Noble [1]
>>
>> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
>> URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
>>
>> [1] http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am NOT seeing?

Just asking, Clinton.

re:
> According to the clerk in the Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the
> magazines related to the Microsoft genre.

That's a BIG mistake.

I wonder how that will affect Barnes and Noble's Wisconsin sales.

I bet that sales percentage for Microsoft-related technology books
far outweighs the combined sales of other computing technology-related books.

With a market penetration of around 90%, the move to ban MS books
seems foolhardy, at least in relation to inventory movement.

People will still, even if B & N removes the books, need them.
They'll just buy them somewhere else.

The B & N clients will let them know, no doubt.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am NOT seeing? I spend a lot
> of money in those stores buying books and magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about
> it who told me the buyers decided to remove the magazines.
>
> The Brookfield, Wisconsin store has removed ALL magazines relating to Microsoft technologies. The
> other Barnes & Noble store I also go into at Mayfair in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin has lso cut back big
> time -- Microsoft genre -- or has also removed ALL Microsoft magazines as well. I have to check to
> see if the Mayfair store has taken the final plunge and removed ALL magazines related to the
> Microsoft genre. According to the clerk in the Brookfield store th stores in the region are
> removing ALL the magazines related to the Microsoft genre.
>
> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>

> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> They have them, nationally, online :
>>
>> http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/bro...aid=1000005054
>>
>> Are you sure this is not a misunderstanding ?
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> ===================================
>> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> The Barnes & Noble stores in and around Milwaukee, Wisconsin have removed or are removing all of
>>> the Microsoft platform programming and support magazines from their shelves. Not one single
>>> magazine related to any Microsoft operating system, any programming language and framework or
>>> any application remains on the shelves.
>>>
>>> All of the Linux and Mac magazines remain of course.
>>>
>>> Store clerks say "the buyer" made the decision and offered no other explanation.
>>>
>>> I'm sending a nasty note to Barnes & Noble [1]
>>>
>>> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>>> NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
>>> URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.barnesandnoble.com/

Brian

"clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
> NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
> magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
> buyers decided to remove the magazines.

Resellers have a long history of bickering with their suppliers. See Apple
(Jobs expects his babies to be displayed JUST so. He's gotten better I
hear.) or IBM (X,Y,Z, with fixed pricing or you aren't an authorized
seller).

Sounds like a local ****ing match to me. Maybe the rep saw some "coverless"
books at the $5 bookstore and is teaching B&N a lesson.

Bruce Barker

mag rack space is limited. if sales are low a mag is dropped (especially if
there is not a good return policy for unsold goods, or the mag is not paying
for shelfspace).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> re:
>> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
>> NOT seeing?

> Just asking, Clinton.
>

> re:
>> According to the clerk in the Brookfield store th stores in the region
>> are removing ALL the magazines related to the Microsoft genre.

> That's a BIG mistake.
>
> I wonder how that will affect Barnes and Noble's Wisconsin sales.
>
> I bet that sales percentage for Microsoft-related technology books
> far outweighs the combined sales of other computing technology-related
> books.
>
> With a market penetration of around 90%, the move to ban MS books
> seems foolhardy, at least in relation to inventory movement.
>
> People will still, even if B & N removes the books, need them.
> They'll just buy them somewhere else.
>
> The B & N clients will let them know, no doubt.
>

> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
> ===================================
> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
>> NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
>> magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
>> buyers decided to remove the magazines.
>>
>> The Brookfield, Wisconsin store has removed ALL magazines relating to
>> Microsoft technologies. The other Barnes & Noble store I also go into at
>> Mayfair in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin has lso cut back big time -- Microsoft
>> genre -- or has also removed ALL Microsoft magazines as well. I have to
>> check to see if the Mayfair store has taken the final plunge and removed
>> ALL magazines related to the Microsoft genre. According to the clerk in
>> the Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the
>> magazines related to the Microsoft genre.
>>
>> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>>

>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> They have them, nationally, online :
>>>
>>> http://browse.barnesandnoble.com/bro...aid=1000005054
>>>
>>> Are you sure this is not a misunderstanding ?
>>>

>>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>>> aspnetfaq.com : http://www.aspnetfaq.com/
>>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>>> ===================================
>>> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

darrel

> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
> NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
> magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
> buyers decided to remove the magazines.

If things don't sell, they don't stock them.

Guess you were one of the few visiting those particular stores looking for
those particular magazines.

-Darrel

clintonG

No kidding?

<%= Clinton Gallagher

"Bruce Barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> mag rack space is limited. if sales are low a mag is dropped (especially
> if there is not a good return policy for unsold goods, or the mag is not
> paying for shelfspace).
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> re:
>>> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
>>> NOT seeing?

>> Just asking, Clinton.
>>

>> re:
>>> According to the clerk in the Brookfield store th stores in the region
>>> are removing ALL the magazines related to the Microsoft genre.

>> That's a BIG mistake.
>>
>> I wonder how that will affect Barnes and Noble's Wisconsin sales.
>>
>> I bet that sales percentage for Microsoft-related technology books
>> far outweighs the combined sales of other computing technology-related
>> books.
>>
>> With a market penetration of around 90%, the move to ban MS books
>> seems foolhardy, at least in relation to inventory movement.
>>
>> People will still, even if B & N removes the books, need them.
>> They'll just buy them somewhere else.
>>
>> The B & N clients will let them know, no doubt.
>>

>> Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
>> asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
>> foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
>> ===================================
>> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message news:e5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
>>> NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
>>> magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me
>>> the buyers decided to remove the magazines.
>>>
>>> The Brookfield, Wisconsin store has removed ALL magazines relating to
>>> Microsoft technologies. The other Barnes & Noble store I also go into at
>>> Mayfair in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin has lso cut back big time -- Microsoft
>>> genre -- or has also removed ALL Microsoft magazines as well. I have to
>>> check to see if the Mayfair store has taken the final plunge and removed
>>> ALL magazines related to the Microsoft genre. According to the clerk in
>>> the Brookfield store th stores in the region are removing ALL the
>>> magazines related to the Microsoft genre.
>>>
>>> <%= Clinton Gallagher
>>>

>>> "Juan T. Llibre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

clintonG

I started wondering along the same lines. Whacking a title is consistent
with the "if its not selling" rationale but an entire category across the
board while leaving Linux and Mac alone? Something is up.

<%= Clinton Gallagher

news:veGMf.2488$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "clintonG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e5$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can I stand in front of a magazine rack and misunderstand what I am
>> NOT seeing? I spend a lot of money in those stores buying books and
>> magazines. I even talked to two different clerks about it who told me the
>> buyers decided to remove the magazines.

> Resellers have a long history of bickering with their suppliers. See
> Apple (Jobs expects his babies to be displayed JUST so. He's gotten
> better I hear.) or IBM (X,Y,Z, with fixed pricing or you aren't an
> authorized seller).
>
> Sounds like a local ****ing match to me. Maybe the rep saw some
> "coverless" books at the $5 bookstore and is teaching B&N a lesson.

dm1608

Why don't you just subscribe to the magazine? You're paying way too much
$$$ by buying directly off the newstand. If you want to puruse a magazine,
many allow you to receive a first issue free and "CANCEL" when the bill
comes.

I have about 12 computer related magazine subscriptions... 4-5 from UK and I
seldom buy anything from newstand.