Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Login Control/Validation Summary within Content Placeholder

Login Control/Validation Summary within Content Placeholder

ilockett

The background:
I have a web app with a simple master page that contains just one
content placeholder.

I have created a web form that then uses this master page. Within the
content placeholder, I have placed a Login control (Login1) and a
ValidationSummary control.

I have set the ValidationSummary's ValidationGroup property equal to
"Login1".

The problem:
The validation summary is not firing when a login textbox is left
blank.

What I have found:
I put the Login control and ValidationSummary control in a separate
page that uses no masterpage/content placeholders - and it works fine.
So it seems the issue begins with the master page/content involvement.

I looked at the HTML source on both pages and this throws up what I
think is causing the problem - but I'm not sure how to resolve it!

In the non-master page file, you get the following markup:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var Login1_UserNameRequired = document.all ?
document.all["Login1_UserNameRequired"] :
document.getElementById("Login1_UserNameRequired") ;
Login1_UserNameRequired.controltovalidate = "Login1_UserName";
Login1_UserNameRequired.errormessage = "User Name is required.";
Login1_UserNameRequired.validationGroup = "Login1";
Login1_UserNameRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
Login1_UserNameRequired.initialvalue = "";
var Login1_PasswordRequired = document.all ?
document.all["Login1_PasswordRequired"] :
document.getElementById("Login1_PasswordRequired") ;
Login1_PasswordRequired.controltovalidate = "Login1_Password";
Login1_PasswordRequired.errormessage = "Password is required.";
Login1_PasswordRequired.validationGroup = "Login1";
Login1_PasswordRequired.evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
Login1_PasswordRequired.initialvalue = "";
var ValidationSummary1 = document.all ?
document.all["ValidationSummary1"] :
document.getElementById("ValidationSummary1");
ValidationSummary1.validationGroup = "Login1";
// -->
</script>

However, when I use the master page code, you get:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired "] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1 _Login1_UserNameRequired");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired. controltovalidate =
"ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserName";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired. errormessage = "User
Name is required.";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired. validationGroup =
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired. evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_UserNameRequired. initialvalue = "";
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired "] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1 _Login1_PasswordRequired");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. controltovalidate =
"ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_Password";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. errormessage =
"Password is required.";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. validationGroup =
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. evaluationfunction =
"RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. initialvalue = "";
var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1 = document.all ?
document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1"] :
document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1 _ValidationSummary1");
ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1.valid ationGroup =
"ContentPlaceHolder1.Login1";
// -->
</script>

It seems that the ValidationGroup for the internal controls of the
Login control has been changed from "Login1" to
"ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1" causing a mis-match between the
Login control and ValidationSummary.

Is there a way of rectifying this?

Many thanks in hope of a reply!!

Ian

=?Utf-8?B?RFdT?=

ilockett,
Error you are adding validation to the login control that does its own
validation. You have your design backwards or are doing something wrong.

Good Luck finding your error.
DWS

"ilockett" wrote:

> [...]
> ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. validationGroup =
> "ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1";
> ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. evaluationfunction =
> "RequiredFieldValidatorEvaluateIsValid";
> ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_Login1_PasswordRequired. initialvalue = "";
> var ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1 = document.all ?
> document.all["ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1"] :
> document.getElementById("ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1 _ValidationSummary1");
> ctl00_ContentPlaceHolder1_ValidationSummary1.valid ationGroup =
> "ContentPlaceHolder1.Login1";
> // -->
> </script>
>
> It seems that the ValidationGroup for the internal controls of the
> Login control has been changed from "Login1" to
> "ctl00$ContentPlaceHolder1$Login1" causing a mis-match between the

ilockett

DWS

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Whilst the Login control does have it's own validation - it only
displays the asterisk after the textbox and does not actually display a
message. This could be missed by some users.

I was hoping that the validation summary would show the error in a more
explicit way. I don't feel I am doing anything wrong - the
combination of Login and ValidationSummary works fine when not used
within a Content Placeholder.

I have so far worked around it by using the FindControl method:

Dim myLogin As Login
Dim mySummary As ValidationSummary
myLogin =
[LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[LoginControlName]")
mySummary =
[LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[ValidationSummaryControlName")
If myLogin IsNot Nothing Then
' Replace the returned underscores with dollar signs.
mySummary.ValidationGroup = Replace(myLogin.ClientID, "_",
"$")
End If

However, I'm really not happy in having to do it this way, and so any
other suggestions are more than welcome.

Many thanks
Ian

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIERvbm92YW4=?=

Ian,

I was having the same problem last night. It frustrated me for a good two
hours and I still have no fix. Glad to see that it's a problem with the
Master Pages, that was what I was going to try to test this time around... I
will probably end up using your workaround for now. If I come up with
something else I will let you know.

Dan

"ilockett" wrote:

> DWS
>
> Thanks for taking the time to reply.
>
> Whilst the Login control does have it's own validation - it only
> displays the asterisk after the textbox and does not actually display a
> message. This could be missed by some users.
>
> I was hoping that the validation summary would show the error in a more
> explicit way. I don't feel I am doing anything wrong - the
> combination of Login and ValidationSummary works fine when not used
> within a Content Placeholder.
>
> I have so far worked around it by using the FindControl method:
>
> Dim myLogin As Login
> Dim mySummary As ValidationSummary
> myLogin =
> [LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[LoginControlName]")
> mySummary =
> [LoginViewControlName].FindControl("[ValidationSummaryControlName")
> If myLogin IsNot Nothing Then
> ' Replace the returned underscores with dollar signs.
> mySummary.ValidationGroup = Replace(myLogin.ClientID, "_",
> "$")
> End If
>
> However, I'm really not happy in having to do it this way, and so any
> other suggestions are more than welcome.
>
> Many thanks
> Ian

Missing Content Placeholder in nested master content page John ASP .Net 2 01-15-2008 11:48 AM
Content Placeholder NickP ASP .Net 1 12-05-2006 03:13 PM
Simple question: Retrieve form elements name in content placeholder Kees de Winter ASP .Net 3 05-12-2006 03:40 PM
Build control in a placeholder or like a placeholder nail ASP .Net Building Controls 0 09-10-2004 07:57 PM

Advertisments