Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > how am I killed IIS?

how am I killed IIS?

Tarun Mistry

Hi everyone, I am somehow managing to kill IIS, please help (running ASP.NET
2.0).

I have a page (PAGE) with a dynamically loaded control (DLC1), this control
itself has a further dynamically loaded control with in (DCL2).

My submit button is on DLC1, my form contents are in DCL2.

When the page is submitted, I catch the button click in DLC1 and try to
process the incoming post data, however, at this point DLC2 is not longer
generated as i dont need it, i just need the post data. Im unsure if this is
causing the crash, however on submitting, nothnig happens, finally IIS locks
up and needs to be restarted with the cryptic error:

EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.0, P3 3e8000e6, P4
appdemonstrator1, P5 1.0.2248.37490, P6 44021465, P7 5f, P8 0, P9
system.stackoverflowexception, P10 NIL.

Any help really appreciated , any ideas guys?

Thanks!

Tarun,
A stackoverflow exception usually indicates some sort of infinitely
recursive operation that is occurring. We don't know exactly what your code
does, but if you look it over very carefully, you should be able to find the
boo-boo and fix it so this doesn't happen. A control could be created, which
attempts to create itself, etc. etc. ad-infinitum. That's just a simplified
example.
--Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

"Tarun Mistry" wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am somehow managing to kill IIS, please help (running ASP.NET
> 2.0).
>
> I have a page (PAGE) with a dynamically loaded control (DLC1), this control
> itself has a further dynamically loaded control with in (DCL2).
>
> My submit button is on DLC1, my form contents are in DCL2.
>
> When the page is submitted, I catch the button click in DLC1 and try to
> process the incoming post data, however, at this point DLC2 is not longer
> generated as i dont need it, i just need the post data. Im unsure if this is
> causing the crash, however on submitting, nothnig happens, finally IIS locks
> up and needs to be restarted with the cryptic error:
>
> EventType clr20r3, P1 w3wp.exe, P2 6.0.3790.0, P3 3e8000e6, P4
> appdemonstrator1, P5 1.0.2248.37490, P6 44021465, P7 5f, P8 0, P9
> system.stackoverflowexception, P10 NIL.
>
> Any help really appreciated , any ideas guys?
>
> Thanks!

Tarun Mistry

OH DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!!

Can you see the problem with the following property?? God so many hours
of grief!!

Indeed... infinite recursion, but not where i thought it would be!

public string Labname
{
get{return this.Labname;}
set{this.labname = value;}
}

For those who dont see the error, the get clause is return Labname (capital
L) and not labname, in effect it was calling itself forever!

THE PAIN!
Thank god it is over!
Taz

> Tarun,
> A stackoverflow exception usually indicates some sort of infinitely
> recursive operation that is occurring. We don't know exactly what your
> code
> does, but if you look it over very carefully, you should be able to find
> the
> boo-boo and fix it so this doesn't happen. A control could be created,
> which
> attempts to create itself, etc. etc. ad-infinitum. That's just a
> simplified
> example.
> --Peter

Edwin Knoppert

God?

"Tarun Mistry" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OH DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!!
>
> Can you see the problem with the following property?? God so many hours
> of grief!!
>
> Indeed... infinite recursion, but not where i thought it would be!
>
> public string Labname
> {
> get{return this.Labname;}
> set{this.labname = value;}
> }
>
> For those who dont see the error, the get clause is return Labname
> (capital L) and not labname, in effect it was calling itself forever!
>
> THE PAIN!
> Thank god it is over!
> Taz
>
>> Tarun,
>> A stackoverflow exception usually indicates some sort of infinitely
>> recursive operation that is occurring. We don't know exactly what your
>> code
>> does, but if you look it over very carefully, you should be able to find
>> the
>> boo-boo and fix it so this doesn't happen. A control could be created,
>> which
>> attempts to create itself, etc. etc. ad-infinitum. That's just a
>> simplified
>> example.
>> --Peter

Tarun,
I knew you'd find it. Don't feel bad, I myself have done this.

"Tarun Mistry" wrote:

> OH DEAR GOD THE PAIN!!!!
>
> Can you see the problem with the following property?? God so many hours
> of grief!!
>
> Indeed... infinite recursion, but not where i thought it would be!
>
> public string Labname
> {
> get{return this.Labname;}
> set{this.labname = value;}
> }
>
> For those who dont see the error, the get clause is return Labname (capital
> L) and not labname, in effect it was calling itself forever!
>
> THE PAIN!
> Thank god it is over!
> Taz
>
> > Tarun,
> > A stackoverflow exception usually indicates some sort of infinitely
> > recursive operation that is occurring. We don't know exactly what your
> > code
> > does, but if you look it over very carefully, you should be able to find
> > the
> > boo-boo and fix it so this doesn't happen. A control could be created,
> > which
> > attempts to create itself, etc. etc. ad-infinitum. That's just a
> > simplified
> > example.
> > --Peter

Flinky Wisty Pomm

I'll second that: I've done this so many times that whenever I get a
stackoverflow exception I immediately go to my properties. Add it to
your list of "things to be paranoid about".

Tarun Mistry

> I'll second that: I've done this so many times that whenever I get a
> stackoverflow exception I immediately go to my properties. Add it to
> your list of "things to be paranoid about".

It is indeed added

Thanks all,
Taz