Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true">

<compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="true">

Alexander Walker

Hello

I have recently published a web application using the "Publish Web Site" option
of the solution explorer from Visual Studio 2005, I have published the website
so that the pages could not be updated, do I need to set the web.config so that
it contains <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false"> before I publish
the web site or can I make this configuration change on the deployment machine
after the site has been deployed?

Thanks

Alex

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Alex,

Thanks for posting.

As for ASP.NET 2.0 web applications, the page's codebehind classes and
other source files(in App_Code) and components(DataSet or localization
resource) are dynamically compiled, and the build type (debug or release)
is specified by the web.config's <compilation debug="xxx" /> attribute. And
this is the same when we manually precompile the web application through
aspnet_compiler tool. If use the "Publish WebSite" menu in VS 2005 ide, it
will force a release build, however , if you choose the "updatalbe" option,
at runtime our aspx pages's dynamic classes will still be compiled as the
version specified in web.config file. The difference between "updatable"
and "non-updatable" is that "updatable" make the web pages partially
precompiled, there still require some dynamic compilation at runtime for
each page. While "non-updatable" make a full precompilation so that pages
do not need additional dynamic compilation at runtime.

Therefore, it is always recommended that we change the <compilation
debug="xxx" /> to the corretly value before we perform precompilation for
deployment. In addition, here is a good web article discussing on this:

#Debug and Release Builds in ASP.NET 2.0
http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/arc...1/15/2464.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steven Cheng