Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Startpage

Startpage

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

Hi!

I'm using Mozilla 1.7.12
Recently, I intstalled Opera (latest) as a BackUp-Browser and ever
since my startup-page at Mozilla is corrupted.
When opening the browser, I get redirected to "%1" instead of
"www.google.de"

I checkt my configuration, but there, the right settings are set.
I tried reinstalling Mozilla, but it doesn't change a bit.
Even uninstalling Opera didn't work out.

So I looking for someone who can tell me a way of changing back the
startpage to google WITHOUT uninstalling the whole suite.

TIA
Alex Sauer

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

For it's worth...
I removed Mozilla via the controlpanel (software) and reinstalled it
after reboot.
But still I got "%1" as startup-page...

I just don't understand...
Can anyone plz help me?

TIA
Alex Sauer

Leonidas Jones

> For it's worth...
> I removed Mozilla via the controlpanel (software) and reinstalled it
> after reboot.
> But still I got "%1" as startup-page...
>

> I just don't understand...
> Can anyone plz help me?
>
> TIA
> Alex Sauer

Uninstalling/Reinstalling will do no good, since the start page
preference is stored in your profile.

Have you reset the start page? Navigate to google.de, then:

Edit>>Preferences>>Navigator>>General

Under Home page, click Use Current Page.

Close Preferences, then type about:config into the location bar.

Use the filter to find:

browser.startup.homepage

The value should be:

http://www.google.de

If it not, right click on the pref and choose Modify. Put in the Google
url.

Close Mozilla and reopen. Any better?

Lee

gwtc

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> For it's worth...
> I removed Mozilla via the controlpanel (software) and reinstalled it
> after reboot.
> But still I got "%1" as startup-page...
>

> I just don't understand...
> Can anyone plz help me?
>
> TIA
> Alex Sauer

try resetting Moz as the default browser: Edit, Preferences,
Navigator, and over on the far right. What happens?

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

I never cease to wonder...
Well, your solution worked out well (mayhapp that'll change after
restart).
I would have never figured, that there is sth. different between typing
in the URL of a page and using the "current page"-button.
But there have to happen sth. else, than just the setting of
browser.startup-homepage when pressing the "current page"-button...
Because I visited the about:config-page before and found the
"browser.startup.homepage"-value set to "www.google.de", while
searching for "%1" didn't give one single result.

Thank you for you're help
Alex

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

Way to fast...
I did not even need to restart the system, just closing the browser
would reverse all luck I had so far.
The "%1"-page still shows up while "about:config"
"browser.startup.homepage" still shows "http://www.google.de"

Maybe, there are some registry-settings gone askew?

Alex Sauer

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

Funny error...
I don't get it: The startuppages google and %1 appear at random sport.
One time opening the browser will cause google to appear and next time
%1 will appear, without reason and without me changing anything at all.

What's up here?
Alex

Leonidas Jones

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Funny error...
> I don't get it: The startuppages google and %1 appear at random sport.
> One time opening the browser will cause google to appear and next time
> %1 will appear, without reason and without me changing anything at all.
>
> What's up here?
> Alex

I suspect something outside Mozilla may be causing this, but I really
don't know what it might be. I've been doing tech support for Mozilla
applications for quite a while now, and this is a first for me.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Funny error...
>> I don't get it: The startuppages google and %1 appear at random sport.
>> One time opening the browser will cause google to appear and next time
>> %1 will appear, without reason and without me changing anything at all.
>>
>> What's up here?
>> Alex
>>

> I suspect something outside Mozilla may be causing this, but I really
> don't know what it might be. I've been doing tech support for Mozilla
> applications for quite a while now, and this is a first for me.
>
> Lee

I would open the Control Panel and click on the Folder Options icon.
Then select the Folder Types tab. Now scroll on down until you find
HTML Document, double click on it, and double click on Open and find
out what you have listed in the "Application used" box. This "1%"
sound like it's coming from the File Types stuff because my line is:
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA\MOZILLA.EXE -P "Default User" -url "%1"

So its somewhere in the File Types.

dead.man.walking@gmx.de

I found the HTM / HTML-Settings and the application set to handle these
types is Mozilla.
There was no line with parameters at all, just the reference to
Mozilla.

Meanwhile not even the solution, that worked at first (Lee's) will do
anything...
I dared searching the registry and found some entrys under
mozilla-folders containing the "%1"-string. But I do not want to mess
with the registry as long as I don't have a slight idea, what I'm
doing.

Alex