Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Browser reporting

Browser reporting

will

Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.

Best regards .
Will.

Leonidas Jones

will wrote:
> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
>
> Best regards .
> Will.

User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
his browser sniffing script to reflect that.

The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
bit more.

Lee

will

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:31:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>will wrote:
>> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
>> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
>> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
>> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
>>
>> Best regards .
>> Will.

>User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
>spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
>and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
>his browser sniffing script to reflect that.
>
>The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
>Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
>bit more.
>
>Lee

Just what I was looking for Lee but I'm on FF 1.5b2 and it doesn't
appear to work ( looks like a handy tool for developers though
thanks for your answer. I'll keep an eye out for an update.

Leonidas Jones

will wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:31:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> will wrote:
>>> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
>>> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
>>> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
>>> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
>>>
>>> Best regards .
>>> Will.

>> User Agent spoofing should be used as a test only. If you find that
>> spoofing th UA gets you into a site, you should contact the web designer
>> and inform him that his site works with Firefox, and ask him to update
>> his browser sniffing script to reflect that.
>>
>> The easiest way to change the UA is through an extension. The User
>> Agent Switcher does this. The Preferences Toolbar does this and quite a
>> bit more.
>>
>> Lee

> Just what I was looking for Lee but I'm on FF 1.5b2 and it doesn't
> appear to work ( looks like a handy tool for developers though
> thanks for your answer. I'll keep an eye out for an update.

Being a beta version, most extensions are not updated for it. One of
the reasons for releasing betas is to allow extension writer to test
their extensions on the new model, before the major release.

There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2. You should then be able to make the
extensions compatible.

Lee

gwtc

will wrote:

> Hi all, does Firefox support browser reporting as I'm having some
> problems getting into some websites, if so, how do I go about fooling
> sites into thinking I'm on IE? Appologies for asking in the Mozilla
> group but I couldn't find a firefox group supported by my ISP. TIA.
>
> Best regards .
> Will.

Since Lee answered your first question I will answer the other.

The firefox newsgroup is
snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.mozilla.firefox. This can
be accessed by anyone regardless of your ISP. Just create a new
newsgroup and enter snews://secnews.netscape.com into the account
name, and change the port to 563.

John Thompson

On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
> maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
> this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
> You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
> NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Leonidas Jones

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
>> maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
>> this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible extension.
>> You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired extension, plus
>> NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

> Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
> value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5

Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
be best.

The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
extension, and open it with your unzipping software.

Lee

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> John Thompson wrote:
>
>> On 2005-10-13, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> There is an extension called Nightly Tester Tools, that will bump the
>>> maxversion on installed extensions to get them to work. While it does
>>> this well, it will not allow you to install an incompatible
>>> extension. You would have to revert to 1.0.7, install the desired
>>> extension, plus NTT, then reinstall 1.5b2.

>> Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the MaxVersion
>> value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5
>>

> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
> be best.
>
> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
>
> Lee
>
> Lee

Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.

Leonidas Jones

gwtc wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> John Thompson wrote:

>>> Or you can unzip the xpi file, tweak the install.rdf so the
>>> MaxVersion value allows 1.5, rezip and install the xpi under 1.5
>>>

>> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
>> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
>> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
>> be best.
>>
>> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
>> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
>>
>> Lee
>>
>> Lee

> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.

Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

Lee

xModem

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 18:57:33 GMT, Leonidas Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>gwtc wrote:

>>> Indeed, that is a better suggestion, particularly if you have only one
>>> or two extensions to install. If you have many, my idea is probably
>>> easier. Since Will would appear to have only the one, your thought may
>>> be best.
>>>
>>> The easiest way to unzip a xpi is to rename the file with a .zip
>>> extension, and open it with your unzipping software.
>>>
>>> Lee
>>>
>>> Lee

>> Why change the name? Just open it with your zipper. Thats what I do.
>>

>Mine won't unless I change the extension. What are you using?

If you open Winzip and drag/drop a misnamed Zip file on it, Winzip will open
it.

How to disable error reporting to Mozilla.org RalphOcean Firefox 3 07-01-2005 10:53 AM
Problem in SQL Reporting services Raju ASP .Net 0 08-02-2004 04:01 AM
.NET Reporting Eric ASP .Net 3 02-24-2004 11:50 PM
Crashes and Netscape Reporting Stuart Firefox 16 02-07-2004 01:55 AM
3rd party reporting tools to substitute Crystal Matalote ASP .Net 2 01-26-2004 04:46 PM

Advertisments