Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Profile in firefox

Profile in firefox

newbie

Today, suddenly, out of blue firefox asked me about my profile.

After that firefox with my existing profile vanished.

I had lots of bookmark in my old profile and I cannot get them back.

Further when I went for updates it went ahead and updated to newer version
ofcourse with permission.

My query is how do I get back firefox with my old profile where all my
bookmarks are stored.

Any guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Ed Mullen

newbie wrote:

> Today, suddenly, out of blue firefox asked me about my profile.
>
> After that firefox with my existing profile vanished.
>
> I had lots of bookmark in my old profile and I cannot get them back.
>
> Further when I went for updates it went ahead and updated to newer version
> ofcourse with permission.
>
> My query is how do I get back firefox with my old profile where all my
> bookmarks are stored.
>
> Any guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated.
>
> Regards.

Exit FF. Bring up Task Manager and see if there's a firefox.exe process
still running. If so, terminate it.

Next, go to your profile folder and see if there's a file "parent.lock."
Delete it. Run FF and see if it gets your old profile. If not, exit
FF. Run the profile manager (Start - Run - firefox.exe -p) and select
it there. Should be ok unless you had some kind of major crash. Let us
know.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

newbie

Ed Mullen wrote:
|| newbie wrote:
||| Today, suddenly, out of blue firefox asked me about my profile.
||| After that firefox with my existing profile vanished.
||| I had lots of bookmark in my old profile and I cannot get them back.
||| Further when I went for updates it went ahead and updated to newer
||| version ofcourse with permission.
||| My query is how do I get back firefox with my old profile where all
||| my bookmarks are stored.
||| Any guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated.
||| Regards.
|| Exit FF. Bring up Task Manager and see if there's a firefox.exe
|| process still running. If so, terminate it.
|| Next, go to your profile folder and see if there's a file
|| "parent.lock." Delete it. Run FF and see if it gets your old
|| profile. If not, exit FF. Run the profile manager (Start - Run -
|| firefox.exe -p) and select it there. Should be ok unless you had
|| some kind of major crash. Let us know.
|| --
|| Ed Mullen
|| http://edmullen.net
|| http://mozilla.edmullen.net
|| Always remember you are unique, like everyone else.

Thanks Ed,
I got my bookmarks back.
As per your suggestion closed FF. Went to task Manger - ff.exe was not
running. Closed TaskManager.

Ran the profile manager and got back my bookmarks.

Thanks once again.
Regards.

Mick Tully

"newbie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dijan0$ov7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Today, suddenly, out of blue firefox asked me about my profile.
>
> After that firefox with my existing profile vanished.
>
> I had lots of bookmark in my old profile and I cannot get them back.
>
> Further when I went for updates it went ahead and updated to newer version
> ofcourse with permission.
>
> My query is how do I get back firefox with my old profile where all my
> bookmarks are stored.
>
> Any guidance in this matter will be highly appreciated.

I hope this helps:
http://users.tns.net/~skingery/firef...ps.html#manage