Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Best practices for creating reports

Best practices for creating reports

=?Utf-8?B?UHJ6ZW1v?=

Hi,

I have an ASP.NET 2.0 application. I need to generate some documents
(reports) like invoices, orders, etc. Users need them to preview and print.
Which of methods is the best for doing it:
1. Creating HTML page containing data (problems with rendering and
unexpected behavior when dynamic text is too long),
2. Creating invoice as a XML and then transforming it into ready document
using XSLT
3. Rendering document as a GIF just writing on it
4. Using TEX language
5. Crystal Reports controls in VS.NET 2005
6. Reporting Services in SQL 2005
7. something else?

Reporting could be the best, but it is like using plane and airport to go to
a shop instead of a car. Too big tool for such thing.

Lets discuss.

Thanks.
Przemo

D. Yates

Przemo,

I ran across this while researching ASP stuff for our new and upcoming
system:

Create Snazzy Web Charts and Graphics On the Fly with the .NET Framework
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/aspdraw/

The article gives a link to some cheaper reporting tools:
http://www.aspin.com/home/components/graphics/charts/

I can't answer the "which one is right?" question cause I'm too new to ASP.

Later,
Dave

=?Utf-8?B?UHJ6ZW1v?=

Thanks, but I do not ask for a charting solution, but simple how to create an
invoice.

Przemo

"D. Yates" wrote:

> Przemo,
>
> I ran across this while researching ASP stuff for our new and upcoming
> system:
>
> Create Snazzy Web Charts and Graphics On the Fly with the .NET Framework
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/02/aspdraw/
>
> The article gives a link to some cheaper reporting tools:
> http://www.aspin.com/home/components/graphics/charts/
>
> I can't answer the "which one is right?" question cause I'm too new to ASP.
>
> Later,
> Dave

mikelau13@gmail.com

I assume u don't want thing become too complicated, so I would pick (1)
but will use contenttype = excel instead