Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox crashing on some sites with 'numerous' frames

Firefox crashing on some sites with 'numerous' frames

HellPope Huey

I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.

Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
its maddening.

HPH

Ed Mullen

HellPope Huey wrote:

> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
> Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
> to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
> sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
> with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
>
> Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
> its maddening.
>
> HPH

"Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem of
some sort.

FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s) using
Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and have never
had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not ever use
Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Old Gringo

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 02:42:22 GMT, Without Any Hesitation HellPope
Huey wrote:

> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
> Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
> to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
> sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
> with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
>
> Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
> its maddening.
>
> HPH

I have found that with no Extensions or Themes, FireFox seems to be
quite ok. Some of the extensions can cause problems. You may try
starting FireFox in safe mode and see it that changes anything. Then
check any extensions concerning imaging. Also check Options to see
if you have the correct settings for sites to set images. Uncheck
for the originating website only. Good Luck.
--
Old Gringo
The Future Is Not What It Use To Be

gwtc

HellPope Huey wrote:

> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
> Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it up
> to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as art
> sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic issue
> with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.
>
> Any suggestions about a cause and possible cure? Its so damned random,
> its maddening.
>
> HPH

Guy talking to his mechanic: "I'm hearing a strange noise in my motor.
What is it?"

HellPope Huey

Ed Mullen wrote:
> HellPope Huey wrote:
> >>

>> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
>> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
>> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more than
>> Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I took it
>> up to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize such as
>> art sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a chronic
>> issue with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.

> "Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
> That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem of
> some sort.

That was my first thought, but I did the usual housekeeping, sector
checks and the like and no problem. Everything else runs like a champ.
It ONLY happens after a few minutes on sites that have several pages of
graphics to scroll through. One clue is that it says its having trouble
with FlashPlayer scripts from time to time ("... which may cause your
computer to become unresponsive"), allowing me the option of halting the
running of the script. I say yes & things roll fine after that as a
rule, although on a few sites like ebay, it will finally crash. I'm
vague on how to select or filter scripts, if that's even possible with
something as omnipresent as Flash. That would make many places
inaccessible.

> FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s) using
> Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and have never
> had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not ever use
> Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

I use Mac OS X 10.2 with good performance overall. The intermittent
aspect is what's been getting to me, as it does with anything that
doesn't just stop cold or at least emit smoke for real at some point. I
know its a rather vague complaint, but the BEHAVIOR of the crashes isn't
the repeatable result of a regular activity or it would be more
defineable.

> Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

Ebay is one; http://artist-3d.com/ was another, where there is some
great surreal wallpaper to be found. (There is also a site I am leaving
out because its the home of a pro graphic artist and musician whom I
don't want to see pelted too much, heh; he has 5 or 6 icons that take
you to further pages of cartoons and MP3s.) It simply froze at one point
with no warning box first. I reinstantiated FF and it kept rolling with
no further incidents. Odd.

I think Old Gringo makes a point worth pursuing, about Extensions and
Themes. I'll delve into that and see if the issue improves. Things with
few or no major graphics never crap out, so that's at least one clue.

Thanks for the input.

--

HellPope Huey
One day I will suss

“Contrariwise,” continued Tweedledee,
“if it was so, it might be;
and if it were so, it would be;
but as it isn’t, it ain’t.
That's logic.”
~ "Lewis Carroll", Charles Dodgson

"Well lads, that's Africa for you.
One dead man, two dead beasts
and no one the better for it."
~ "Trader Horn"

Ed Mullen

HellPope Huey wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>
>> HellPope Huey wrote:
>> >>

>>> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
>>> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
>>> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs? Its begun to do it more
>>> than Internet Explorer, which is a huge condemnation of it, heh. I
>>> took it up to get AWAY from that wretched thing. Things I patronize
>>> such as art sites, ebay and music catalogs have many frames, so its a
>>> chronic issue with no seeming repeatable trigger, just BOOM.

>> "Its begun to do it more than ..." IE? So, both apps are doing it?
>> That's what your prose indicates. If so, you've got a system problem
>> of some sort.

> That was my first thought, but I did the usual housekeeping, sector
> checks and the like and no problem. Everything else runs like a champ.
> It ONLY happens after a few minutes on sites that have several pages of
> graphics to scroll through. One clue is that it says its having trouble
> with FlashPlayer scripts from time to time ("... which may cause your
> computer to become unresponsive"), allowing me the option of halting the
> running of the script. I say yes & things roll fine after that as a
> rule, although on a few sites like ebay, it will finally crash. I'm
> vague on how to select or filter scripts, if that's even possible with
> something as omnipresent as Flash. That would make many places
> inaccessible.

Might try updating the Flash plugin/player.

>> FF 1.0.7 and Mozilla 1.7.12 do not have this issue on my system(s)
>> using Win XP Home and Pro. I am online at least 12 hours a day and
>> have never had FF or Moz "lock up" as you describe. However, I do not
>> ever use Ebay so I'll leave it to others to comment on that.

> I use Mac OS X 10.2 with good performance overall. The intermittent
> aspect is what's been getting to me, as it does with anything that
> doesn't just stop cold or at least emit smoke for real at some point. I
> know its a rather vague complaint, but the BEHAVIOR of the crashes isn't
> the repeatable result of a regular activity or it would be more defineable.
>
>> Please provide example URLs where the problem occurs.

> Ebay is one; http://artist-3d.com/ was another, where there is some
> great surreal wallpaper to be found. (There is also a site I am leaving
> out because its the home of a pro graphic artist and musician whom I
> don't want to see pelted too much, heh; he has 5 or 6 icons that take
> you to further pages of cartoons and MP3s.) It simply froze at one point
> with no warning box first. I reinstantiated FF and it kept rolling with
> no further incidents. Odd.

That site worked fine for me in Moz and FF. It does have an embedded
Flash object and that may be what your installation is choking on.

> I think Old Gringo makes a point worth pursuing, about Extensions and
> Themes. I'll delve into that and see if the issue improves. Things with
> few or no major graphics never crap out, so that's at least one clue.
>
> Thanks for the input.

Good advice to try disabling extensions. Also, you can temporarily move
the Flash plugin from the plugins folder to disable it.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Cold Coffee

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 02:42:22 GMT, HellPope Huey wrote:

> I am using 1.0.7 and this is really dampening my appreciation for an
> otherwise good app. Why the heck would it just lock up randomly when
> asked to do this simple thing: show jpgs?

As a dissenting data point, I am running FF 1.0.7 under XP and do not have
this problem. Since installing the StumbleUpon extension, I have browsed
perhaps 400 "random" websites, many with numerous JPGs (since Photography
is one of my SU interests). No lockups here.

(posted to demonstrate that you shouldn't necessarily bail out just yet)

--
cc

Some sites ok, some not on wireless ....... Nondisclosure007 Wireless Networking 1 06-22-2009 08:29 AM
Frames or not Frames... Ale HTML 17 08-05-2005 12:10 AM
How do prevent sites to be loaded in other sites frames? Stefan Caliandro HTML 2 02-14-2005 06:05 PM
Link needed to go from a non-frames page to a Frames page, and load a particular frame. How? - Newbe Philip HTML 3 06-28-2004 03:06 PM
From Frames to no frames? Powerslave2112 HTML 2 01-20-2004 10:30 PM

Advertisments