Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Hosting an ASP .NET web site

Hosting an ASP .NET web site

BobLaughland

Hi There,

New to ASP .NET. Just wondering if I create an ASP .NET website will
someone running windows 95 or 98 be able to use it?

I am aware that ASP .NET only works on windows 2000 or XP, but is that
only referring to the hosting computer needing to be that spec, or the
client computer too.

Thanks,

Peter.

Li-fan Chen

Hi Bob,

Just the server, in your case. Even a text-based web browser designed for
DOS (I can't vouch for it personally) can access your ASP.NET server.

Best regards,
-- Li-fan

--
Li-fan Chen
Software analyst/developer, Entrepreneur
"BobLaughland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi There,
>
> New to ASP .NET. Just wondering if I create an ASP .NET website will
> someone running windows 95 or 98 be able to use it?
>
> I am aware that ASP .NET only works on windows 2000 or XP, but is that
> only referring to the hosting computer needing to be that spec, or the
> client computer too.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter.

Jeff S

ASP.NET is a server-side technology. The end result of all the fancy
programming you can do with ASP.NET is just plain ole' HTML. The question of
which browsers or clients can read your aspx pages will come down to how
good the HTML is that your ASP.NET Web application spits out. ASP.NET does
not prevent you from doing the wrong thing and sending down non standard
HTML, invalid HTML, or HTML with proprietary extensions.

There's a bit more that goes on and I'm sure someone else will jump in here
and point out the browser detection features and how those might affect the
readability of your pages - but the even so, it's all HTML and possibly
client-side script at the end of the day from the browser's point of view.

-HTH